lab design

dragonstar57

what would you suggest for someone wanting to build a lab that would be allot like the lab described here http://www.powerlabs.org/

where does one start when starting to build such a laboratory? how much does it cost? somewhere around 5-10k?

and what is best for creating a "lair of a mad scientist vibe"

ps please also tell me the best size for the room and the best material for the walls to be constructed of

Edited by cipher510

Well, mostly it would be lab equipment that would promote a mad scientist vibe. Vials filled with colorful chemicals comes to mind, generally with a distillation apparatus. Smoke or steam coming from the vials would really help (especially since you probably are mad if you have lots of those). Maybe have the wall entirely covered in squiggles equations. And you need a lab coat, messy hair, and probably glasses.

• 1 month later...

A couple of Jacob's ladder either side of the door would look good too.

As for the building; the ideal lab would have to be a hollowed out volcano. if you don't have one nearby, some sort small of aircraft hanger or industrial unit would give you the space for some of the madder experiments.

Part of science is having a reason to expend and obtain resources. For instance, to make a circuit, you might need a light bulb, a power source, and some wire. But without the reasons to obtain certain materials, you won't know which light bulb, power supply, and wire to get.

In general, what I'm trying to get at is that before building your own lab, you'll want to be knowledgeable and well read about the activities you plan on conducting in your lab. If you plan on researching something in order to discover something new, then you will need to have been well read on previous literature and have a few theories about how to take previous data and build upon it (this is more like graduate school stuff).

Research, in general, occurs after you've become familiar with a good amount of the knowledge and materials of the profession.

So, go grab some books, get well read, and determine what kinds of experiments you'd like to conduct. After being well-read on it and deciding what you would like to do, such as make a laser, go get the materials and do such.

So, a lot of the equipment you'll be buying is to test theories, unless you're attempting research.

That powerlabs guy has been around for a while. I think I noticed the guy around 2003 or 2004. The guy probably has a decent amount of money and what not. I don't know what he does these days, and I'm not sure how he got access to a lot of areas where he could safely do his experiments. I'm reading his bio. Looks like his parents had money (worked at a bank for 10+ years), education, and the ability to direct him toward such.

Anyway, I would think your biggest deal would be finding a safe place to do the experiments. You could try your basement or backyard, depending on how big they are. Otherwise, you might want to start talking to some local chemists and physicists (perhaps visit a college/university), and ask if they know any decent, nearby places you could test some equipment. But if you bother approaching these people to test equipment, be very sure about what you are testing, ready to explain your experiment, and explain some aspects of the science behind it... And why you think it's important that you conduct this experiment. Some people don't like their time being wasted. As said, be well read.

With my knowledge in biology, I could probably have a mad science lab. However, I believe if I started posting about such details on SFN, I'd see the FBI, CIA, NSA, some other three-letter agency quite soon.

Edited by Genecks

With my knowledge in biology, I could probably have a mad science lab. However, I believe if I started posting about such details on SFN, I'd see the FBI, CIA, NSA, some other three-letter agency quite soon.

well its not a real mad science lab it just sounds cooler to call it one

(and make it look like one)