Hydrogen Peroxide

its hard to put the danger it can cause in words, heres an example if you have ever seen a building which has been destroyed by a gas explosion you will see the building is nearly completly flat and that is with out the aid of an oxidiser except for air where as oxy-hydrogen use's a very good oxidiser 100% oxygen this will create a bigger explosion as it feed's the explosion, the danger is the very rapid expansion of gasses this is capable of doing damage, also if you have ever watched brainiac they are constantly blowing things up one of them was a caravan they filed two weather ballons up one with oxygen one with a flammable gas, after it went of there was just debry around

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its hard to put the danger it can cause in words, heres an example if you have ever seen a building which has been destroyed by a gas explosion you will see the building is nearly completly flat and that is with out the aid of an oxidiser except for air where as oxy-hydrogen use's a very good oxidiser 100% oxygen this will create a bigger explosion as it feed's the explosion, the danger is the very rapid expansion of gasses this is capable of doing damage, also if you have ever watched brainiac they are constantly blowing things up one of them was a caravan they filed two weather ballons up one with oxygen one with a flammable gas, after it went of there was just debry around

I think "oxy-hydrogen" is the slang name for a perfect stoichiometric mixture of hydrogen and oxygen gas. In a perfect stoichiometic mixture, the explosion tends to be more violent because the gasses are mixed in the proper proportions to make the end molecule. Therefore, the reacting molecules don't really have to look too far to find their "mate". Oxy-hydrogen is quite dangerous and prone to violent combustion. A small static spark, or any ignition source will make it explode very loudly and very violently. (This is a standard demo in any good chemistry gas. Balloons of just hydrogen are ignited, and then balloons of just oxygen are ignited. Next, a balloon of a little bit of hydrogen and air mixed together are ignited. This produces a louder boom than the just hydrogen balloon. At the end, they fill a balloon with the perfect mixture of hydrogen and oxygen and a VERY loud and VERY big fireball ensues).

Another scary thing is that if you have any platinum at all near the oxy-hydrogen, it can ignite. I filled a small balloon with some electrolyzed water, then popped it with a length of platinum wire attached to a yardstick. Just the presence of the platinum when penetrating the balloon made it ignite.

I think "oxy-hydrogen" is the slang name for a perfect stoichiometric mixture of hydrogen and oxygen gas. In a perfect stoichiometic mixture, the explosion tends to be more violent because the gasses are mixed in the proper proportions to make the end molecule. Therefore, the reacting molecules don't really have to look too far to find their "mate". Oxy-hydrogen is quite dangerous and prone to violent combustion. A small static spark, or any ignition source will make it explode very loudly and very violently. (This is a standard demo in any good chemistry gas. Balloons of just hydrogen are ignited, and then balloons of just oxygen are ignited. Next, a balloon of a little bit of hydrogen and air mixed together are ignited. This produces a louder boom than the just hydrogen balloon. At the end, they fill a balloon with the perfect mixture of hydrogen and oxygen and a VERY loud and VERY big fireball ensues).

Another scary thing is that if you have any platinum at all near the oxy-hydrogen, it can ignite. I filled a small balloon with some electrolyzed water, then popped it with a length of platinum wire attached to a yardstick. Just the presence of the platinum when penetrating the balloon made it ignite.

no, i meant the KOH and H2O solution, is it pure H2O and also how strong it the solution, what ratio of each KOH and H2O?

^ that i couldn't see in the article ^

other than that, i get it all now, thanks!

i'll re-ask, how can we get the H and the O to form H2O2 instead of the normal H2O?

no, i meant the KOH and H2O solution, is it pure H2O and also how strong it the solution, what ratio of each KOH and H2O?

^ that i couldn't see in the article ^

other than that, i get it all now, thanks!

i'll re-ask, how can we get the H and the O to form H2O2 instead of the normal H2O?

lol. yeah i had to get the url for that page as it didnt load right.

pure water doesnt conduct, the ratio isnt that important, about 50% KOH(which is normaly 50% water anyway) will do fine,

to get h2o2 you have to use o3 bubbled through water, its not that easy to make.

lol. yeah i had to get the url for that page as it didnt load right.

pure water doesnt conduct, the ratio isnt that important, about 50% KOH(which is normaly 50% water anyway) will do fine,

to get h2o2 you have to use o3 bubbled through water, its not that easy to make.