Hydrogen Peroxide

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooohhhh, tell me tell me, read the last page, says how to do it, record it, get pics and stuff, i really wanna know, apparently this is really easy to get hold of [in chemists, prob how you got it]

the only problem is that you will only have 1.92oz of H202 which isnt that much, i dunno how good a effect you will get.

considering the fact that its the second most efficient oxidizer...i'd say that less than 2oz is PLENTY!! until you really understand the beast that you are playing with...i'd definately work with it in SMALL quantities. at least you'll just lose a finger if something goes wrong...as opposed to blowing yourself apart in your basement.

yt...whats you're definition of detonate...? m-80's make a loud pop(solute) due to the rapid expansion of gasses...thats my definition of detonate...

one is molecular the other is mechanical explosion, if it explodes without confinement would be as good as any definition of detonate, it`s the breaking of molecular bonds that give it it`s power, in the case of an M-80, it`s just the rapid deflagration creating a large amount of gas in a short space of time in a small area, it`s the container rupturing that you hear. a stick of TNT needs no such confinement and will happily explode in free space. flash powder isn`t all that brissant either.

Well I have been able to get the H2O2 pretty pure but now I'm wondering why I bothered... I can’t find anything real entertaining to do with it. Any ideas?

Here's the result of a thin film of H2O2 on an eye dropper. I didn’t even notice my finger was wet.

h2o2finger.jpeg

owch, that looked painful. [math]H_2O_2[/math] tends to do that to you

Any ideas?

oxidize things. use it as a propellant, oxidizing agent, or, if you're feeling absolutely insane, add it slowly to sulfuric acid (the more conc the better). if you do the latter, be bloody careful as you will be making peroxymonosulfuric acid, the corrosive oxidizing agent from hell. i would advise you to wear a protective jacket made out of chalk, but wait, the carbonate would just be burned through, as well as your clothes, skin, etc.

Heh, I bleached my fingers/hands too a bit when we had some H2O2 in chemistry. I would have bleached my hair too but sadly, I'm a natural blonde. :( That peroxymonosulfuric acid sounds great, maybe that's a good choice for my pine table problem. :)

Well I have been able to get the H2O2 pretty pure but now I'm wondering why I bothered... I can’t find anything real entertaining to do with it. Any ideas?

how did you get it that pure?

unlucky about your finger?

i thought that in that pure-er state, it would explode even if touched by dust, was it not pure enough?

well bud, you said in post #8 & #19 that if above 70% pure, anything touches it, it will explod, so why didnt lance's?

other than that, i cant find anything else regarding explosions and H202.

lance, did you just freeze off the water then? and poor the liquid H202 into a seperate container?

no, but by refreezing it over and over again, i would have thought that it would have been quite pure.... im guessing it must be in a very pure form to explode on any contact of any organic material..... and that reducing agents will work if it is not quite as pure.

is this dangerous? can i do it at home with no protection?

I’m sorry, I should have said that it was relatively pure.

Even if it was 50% it would still be more pure then you could ever buy/find it.

I have not had any problems besides bleached fingers. It’s not really toxic by ingestion because you would never be able to keep it down.

When dogs swallow things that need to come back up vets will just tell the owners to make the dog drink hydrogen peroxide. I have seen it in action… it’s not a pretty sight.

Even if it was 50% it would still be more pure then you could ever buy/find it.

actually you can get 40-45% in glow sticks, which isn't so bad.

I have not had any problems besides bleached fingers. It’s not really toxic by ingestion because you would never be able to keep it down.

it's a good thing youd never be able to keep it down; it'd oxidize you stomach HCl to hypochloric/chloric acid most likely, which would be really, really bad.

lol. I've got 78% h202 from a hobby I have, buy it really cheap as well, right from the shop, but I'm not letting you nutters know, you'll hurt you self and I can be having that on my mind, nice burn buy the way, I did that once as well.

No itching of anything, but now I have my gloves and goggles on every time I'm "playing". I mean I have nitric sulphuric phosphoric acid and potassium hydroxide all over 80%(don’t know in moles (hehe spelling)) the ph was down in the 0.0X. Scared me a little to know.

But I’ve not had any problem with it blowing up so to speak, lol.

Play safe.

js.