Hurricane Francis

blike

so arent you going to evacuate or something? go somewhere safe:

"It's supposed to hit us later tonight/tomorrow morning."

you make it sound like you might miss it if you sleep late or something!

edit: and good to hear that your alive still! [and hopefully for a lot more time as well!]

No I'm not going to evacuate. Since I'm on the other side of the state, we should only encounter tropical storm force winds. See that little notch about midway up the state (the top notch) and on the left hand side? Thats where I live.

it was a 3 according to the UK newspapers this morning, but it could be carming down! which would be good!

blike would be more qualified to say than I am, but I think the danger of this hurricane is that it is moving rather slowely. Therefore, the slower windspeeds are sustained over a longer period and then so is the tidal surge. That can be bad.

And I'd imagine that where blike is located wouldn't take the full force of those winds/surge/etc. Seems like it could be rather fun to get to experience once or twice (but not within a two week period. That would just be annoying).

Yep.

Question: With hurricanes rotating, the means at landfall one side is always pushing inland and the other side is pushing back out to sea. What effects would the tidal surge experience when the winds are pushing back out to sea instead of inland? I know the wind speed isn't the only thing that effects (affects?) tidal surge, but might it be strong enough to actual push the water in the other direction?

Actually its a little off topic but the standard Kg has no relevence in nature and is an enitriely man made measurement. There is nothing that defines a kg other than the weight that sits in the musuem somewhere in france.

Oh and jordan, as far as I'm aware once the Hurricane hits landfall it isn't sustained very long as the warm tropical water that drives it is no longer present. It is an interesting question though, I'll see what I can find.

No I'm not going to evacuate. Since I'm on the other side of the state, we should only encounter tropical storm force winds. See that little notch about midway up the state (the top notch) and on the left hand side? Thats where I live.

Hey, you attend USF, too? Coo-ool. I'm sticking it out here, too, avoiding the few of my roommates crazy enough to stay here with me. I've been subsisting on Cheerios and Coke, since they seem to have closed the food places up. :rolleyes:

Hurricane Francis passed without major incident here (though the wind was spectacular). A few downed limbs and a lot of really enormous puddles. Other than that, I think we survived it.