Dogs going mad?

aommaster

Hi there!

My father had just told me this yesterday. He said that he wanted to know why this happens, and said that you guys would know. So, here goes nothing:

When people are trained into loading aircrafts with weird goods e.g. acids, mercury etc. , they are taught that they should NOT load a coffin with the dead body inside with a dog. It is for sure, that when the flight lands, the dog would go mad. This is always so. Even though the coffin is sealed, air-tight, the dog would go mad.

Why does this happen?

Hi there!

My father had just told me this yesterday. He said that he wanted to know why this happens' date=' and said that you guys would know. So, here goes nothing:

When people are trained into loading aircrafts with weird goods e.g. acids, mercury etc. , they are taught that they should NOT load a coffin with the dead body inside with a dog. It is for sure, that when the flight lands, the dog would go mad. This is always so. Even though the coffin is sealed, air-tight, the dog would go mad.

Why does this happen?[/quote']

Corroboration would be useful here, to confirm that there is indeed something that needs explaining.

But I have checked with an irline cargo staff, and they say that most cases of dogs being put in the same cargo hold with coffins go made, and therefore they are not allowed to do it.

The only explanation the airline has is the scent of the dead body.

What do you think?

I tend to think that this is the case of fact mixed with fiction. I will offer a possible cause though. I imagine it's fairly stressful to a dog to travel on an airplane. First, strangers lock him up in a cage in completely foreign environment. Then the airplane takes off and there is alot of strange movement and sound. During this time he is isolated from his master and no one can comfort him. Maybe adding a dead body to the mix only makes the event more stressful. Dogs have an extremely sensitive sense of smell. They could detect the scent of death even in a closed coffin. They might even be able to recognize the scent as human. Perhaps all of this stress is too much for a dog. Maybe the combined stress of the trip plus the scent of human death drives them a little mad. Some of the dogs may be convinced that they are in serious danger and they are unable to move because of the cage. I question whether this would permanently drive all dogs to insanity. However, it would only take a few angry pet owners’ lawsuits for them to make a policy concerning this.

Considering that the coffin was sealed at ground pressure, and the inside of the plane is only partially pressurized, the pressure on the inside of the coffin would be greater than the outside at altitude. I wonder if the coffin seals are adequate to compensate for this?

If dogs indeed do become deranged, maybe it's from the embalming fluids, rather than from the smell of the dead body. Under reduced pressure maybe they vaporize and when the dog inhales them it permanently damages its brain - sort of like "glue sniffing" does to humans.

A dog under 5 kg is allowed into the cabin with the passengers. Over 5 kg, it has to be kept in a special cage ventilated, pressurised and heated with the baggage.

You have the contact the airline company before going with a pet. The norms recommend to visit your veterinary if the animal is timid, nervous or sensible to this kind of transport and take a calmant if necessary.

I have no idea why people say a dog could go crazy with a dead person aside, but I'm sure I'll be crazy after 8 hours of travel in this condition.