Algae from hose water.

One day I was cleaning an old plastic container stained by tea. The way I cleaned it was to leave it in the sun (sealed water tight, 2gallon, clear blue tint container) after filling it with hose water (exposure cleaning). I then noticed that green algae had started growing(a noticeable thin layer say 2mm thick, average) at the bottom of the container(in partial sun)... It did clean the container, after about a month.

I then re-filled the container to see if algae grew again(full light this time, algae on the bottom like before), it did.

This algae:

What are the odds that its dangerous to ingest(the algae it self in large quantities)?

More importantly, what are the odds it could be good for me?

What kind of chemicals might be absorbed by the algae, perhaps making the water more clean in a natural way?

If it's just inert that's cool too, I'll just keep it as a decoration or maybe use it as fertilizer.

My first concern would be if it was blue-green algae in which case it's a dangerous type of algae. You should just have a sample lab tested to make sure of what it is;

But I would think it's more likely green algae (of which there are 7000+ species)-

Green algae (Chlorophyta). The green algae, or Chlorophyta, occur in freshwater, although some live in the sea. Most green algae are single-celled and microscopic (able to be seen only under a microscope), forming the slimy green scum found in stagnant ponds. Others are larger and more complex, forming spherical (round) colonies composed of many cells or occurring as straight or branched filaments (long, thin series of cells). Green algae are thought to be in the evolutionary line that gave rise to the first land plants.

Read more: Algae - humans, body, used, water, process, Earth, life, plants, type, chemical, form, energy, animals, carbon, oxygen, air, cells, cause, primary http://www.scienceclarified.com/A-Al/Algae.html#ixzz0oRQ22wfG

Thanks for the reference link, and the reply. What would they look for at the lab?

I would assume they would look at the cell structure and compare it to photos of algae on file and determine its species based on a match...

My first concern would be if it was blue-green algae in which case it's a dangerous type of algae. You should just have a sample lab tested to make sure of what it is;

But I would think it's more likely green algae (of which there are 7000+ species)-

Green algae (Chlorophyta). The green algae, or Chlorophyta, occur in freshwater, although some live in the sea. Most green algae are single-celled and microscopic (able to be seen only under a microscope), forming the slimy green scum found in stagnant ponds. Others are larger and more complex, forming spherical (round) colonies composed of many cells or occurring as straight or branched filaments (long, thin series of cells). Green algae are thought to be in the evolutionary line that gave rise to the first land plants.

Read more: Algae - humans, body, used, water, process, Earth, life, plants, type, chemical, form, energy, animals, carbon, oxygen, air, cells, cause, primary http://www.scienceclarified.com/A-Al/Algae.html#ixzz0oRQ22wfG

B-G Algae are not all toxic, and they are not algae, they are cyanobacteria. Spirulina (a cyano genus) are sold as a health food supplement. The cyano bacterial phyla/division is where oxygenic photosynthesis first evolved, and through endosymbiosis, extended this metabolic capacity to all eukaryotic algae and plants.

I used to live in the city and the tap water if left in the sun would turn emerald green in a few days. It was great for raising Daphnia magna for fish food for my fish breeding business. i drank the water for 34 years and it never bothered me.

Where live now i have well water it goes through a softener and it can stand in the sun for weeks and remain clear as a crystal but it tastes terrible and has hydrogen sulfide in it. if you by pass the softener the water turns red immediately on contact with the air and leaves a muddy bottom of iron sulfide when it settles out, it is very hard and stinks too.

I'd rather have the water with algae in it...

So why is it called Blue-green algae if its not an algae?

Bit of a misnomer really eh?

They are not called b-g algae anymore, they have been reclassified as cyanobacteria.

B-g algae, monera, all that taxaonomy was based on morphological similarities, which ended up not representing accurate rankings of evolutionary relatedness. Thanks to convergent evolution, two lineages can independently evolve similar traits--succulents of South Africa and cacti from North America look very similar but have not shared a common ancestor for 10s of millions of years (as shown by molecular and fossil evidence).

Cyanobacteria look like algae (only in the gross sense that they are green and "pretty" small), but only share photosynthetic capacity because of the endosymbiotic event. Yup a single celled Eukaryote once ate a cyano, and some how the cyano just ended up living inside the Euk, eventually evolving though time into chloroplasts (which still have remnants the cyanobacterial genome in it).

I hope you guys aren't still using the 5 kingdoms system around here?

Edited by Rip:20

There are simple ELISA tests out there that test for the toxin in question. Other even easier immunochromatin tests for qualitative analysis should also be around. You should ask for microcystin tests.

With a good microscope you can also easily see them, however as they create filamentous colonies they may be a bit confusing.

• 1 month later...

Hi..

Algae are green or brown plants that grow around water. Algae grow in water coolers that have been left alone, usually in the heat for too long. Algae can be removed easily with bleach, which is fatal to algae. Humans should not drink or eat algae as that can cause illness. A rough scrub brush forces the algae off of surfaces and breaks it up into smaller pieces. The algae can get stuck to the brushes, so use a sponge to wipe the surface clean.

solar LED light

Edited by rahinajoseph