Coke in Space

deltanova

i think it depends on the amount of gravity, as there is always gravity, even in space, it is just very weak

depending on the amounts of gravity, either:

A) they would stay inside the liquid

or

B) they would float away, out of the liquid, in the opposite direction of the place of most gravity, i.e. if there is loads of gravity on your right, then the bubbles would go out to the left. that is assuming the coke is in a confined space, as if it were all poured out, presumably the chemical bonds would be stronger than gravity [this is in space!] and consequently it would all stay as one big 'lump' of coke!

• 3 months later...

The expansion is a function of pressure, not gravity, as YT implied earlier. So is this happening in space, where the pressure is ~zero, or in an enclosed environment (like the ISS) where you have an atmosphere, more or less, of pressure?

Aye :)

even on Earth a glass of fresh coke has a larger volume than it does when it`s gone flat (measuring the minisuc would be hard sure, but that`s beside the point).

gravity (or the lack of) just means you`ll not require a Cup to hold the coke in, and the bubbles can and will form at the same rate as they do on Earth, but appear on and in all sides equaly.

I`ve seen an insect inside a bubble of water in space (fascinating to watch), and also an Air bubble inside an "Bubble" of water, Equaly fascinating :)

things would be alot different at Zero Cabin pressure Though!, your coke would make quite a Mess very quickly, as it would on Earth WITH gravity. *Splat*

Here's what NASA has to say

Doesn't anyone Google anymore?

Thanks for the link Swansont. As a bit of a lark I started a thread in the exobiology forum that examines the possibility that the 'grays' that the UFO people are so fond of are the result of yeast and other spores that immigrated to the Oort cloud, evolved independently, and then have re-immigrated back to Terra. It was very interesting to see that yeast cells adapted to near zero G by becoming stronger and 3 times as productive.

aguy2