molecular inhibition of insulin?

I'm reading about the neurophysiology of eating, and I considered a few things.

1:

The Atkins Diet involves restriction of carbohydrates to more frequently switch the body's metabolism from burning glucose as fuel to burning stored body fat. This process, called ketosis, begins when insulin levels are low; in normal humans, insulin is lowest when blood glucose levels are low (mostly before eating). Ketosis lipolysis occurs when some of the lipid stores in fat cells are transferred to the blood and are thereby used for energy. On the other hand, caloric carbohydrates (e.g., glucose or starch, the latter made of chains of glucose) impact the body by increasing blood sugar after consumption.

2:

Insulin is a hormone that has profound effects on metabolism. Insulin causes cells in the liver, muscle, and fat tissue to take up glucose from the blood, storing it as glycogen in the liver and muscle, and stopping use of fat as an energy source.

As such, here is my main question:

What molecules can be used to inhibit insulin?

Here are the questions that revolve around that question:

1. If a molecule were used to inhibit insulin, then this would this inhibition induce the body to breakdown fat?

2. How safe is such a proposed idea?

Here are the questions that revolve around that question:

1. If a molecule were used to inhibit insulin, then this would this inhibition induce the body to breakdown fat?

Generally, yes. However, you'd go into what is known as ketoacidosis since you'd still have all that sugar building up in your system and not being broken down, and these things called ketones would build up (they're basically toxins in the system).

Not very. It's called diabetes. :)

Hmm...

I think there is a way to create drugs to reduce eating and cause the fat to be better burned up by the body. But yes, I see your point. Alone, an insulin inhibitor would do damage. I suspect it's got to be mixed with other stuff to make a better potion.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted by Genecks

Not very. It's called diabetes.

Not only that you can get Diabetic Keto-Acidosis (DKA)

Essentially no insulin = no processing of sugar = no energy.

Body 'melts' fat for fuel releasing ketones which increase acidity of the blood. Then, unless you're alien, (in which case what are you doing on the atkins diet?) you die. When I had it I was told that the average mortality rate was 5%. It is treated by having sugar + insulin via IV drip. (or in a healthy person eating sugar/carbs)

IMHO Atkins = baaaad!

Not only that you can get Diabetic Keto-Acidosis (DKA)

Essentially no insulin = no processing of sugar = no energy.

Body 'melts' fat for fuel releasing ketones which increase acidity of the blood. Then, unless you're alien, (in which case what are you doing on the atkins diet?) you die.

Indeed. DKA sucks hard, and is really an awful experience.

It is treated by having sugar + insulin via IV drip.

Wait. Insulin isn't taken intravenously. Insulin is supposed to be absorbed subcutaneously. Can you elaborate on the treatment about which you're thinking? IV insulin is something I've never heard of before.

Wait. Insulin isn't taken intravenously. Insulin is supposed to be absorbed subcutaneously. Can you elaborate on the treatment about which you're thinking? IV insulin is something I've never heard of before.

Insulin is injected for T1 diabetes patients, although having said that I'm not sure if it's just injected into the stomach/fat and then absorbed I'd have to check that one..

(Update) - yes it is injected into fat tissue and absorbed that way not straight into the blood stream.

I don't see much need to have an insulin inhibitor, other than being pretty dangerous, it's also just laziness.

Simply put

energy out > energy in = weight loss (in most cases excluding thyroid problems)

Eating things like watermelon, celery contribute to weight loss because it actually costs you more energy to digest it than you gain from eating it.

I think actually something like an anabolic steroid would be a better choice than an insulin inhibitor, what you want to do is encourage anabolism so that fat stores are being used up and promoting lean muscle mass...but this too has a huge down side and I dont recommend this one either

This is when you're hospitalised. Yes, normally insulin is injected sub cue either upper arm, thigh or midriff.