Gravitational propagation and the mass media

fafalone

I find this current situation disgusting. Thousands of newspapers and news services have declared the latest research to be conclusive proof of Einstein's theories. This experiment has NOT been peer reviewed and has NOT been published in a presitigous journal. Furthermore, most news sources also seem to be ignoring the massive amount of criticism from prominent physicists. Wouldn't want to let the possibility of error interfere with your sensationalist reporting of this like it's the greatest physics find of the last century!

Science has a process, the mass media and the scienctists who went straight to a conference rather than a journal (hm, wonder why?) to inform people should respect this process.

Please read http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0301145 for a thorough explanation of the possible faults of this claim, this measurement warrants peer review before it's declared an absolute fact by the press. For god's sake people, the authors of the paper themselves said the speed of gravity was 1.06x the speed of light with a 20% margin of error!

Chalk another one up to the blatant scientific ignorance of the mass media.

From what I've heard (though through the media) 25% is not a bad margin of error for this sort of work..

But yea, this is typical of the media. Unfortunatly, the casual reader holds what the media reports as FACT, especially when it comes to science. I had to tell my dad that the issue wasn't really settled yet, the results are still being debated

Speed of gravity and light equal

Einstein proved right on speed of gravity

After 87 years, Einstein proved right on speed of gravity

Scientists clock speed of gravity

US Focus: Einstein's Theory Prevails

Get a clue, wait till it's PUBLISHED.

• 1 month later...