The site changes thread

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a thread for all those little things you wish we'd change or fix. Ever browse around and say to yourself "I wish they'd do this, it'd make it so much easier"? Well here is your thread :)

too late blike

you already fixed everything :)

this thread is useless

Well, I'd give some more general suggestions... but I'd prefer just to be able to vote on polls again, or reply to my "Ending the 0.999~ = 1 debates" thread, or not show up as "Registered User" under my name instead of "Atom". I can't do any at the moment and I don't know why, so I'm guessing that some settings were changed and I didn't know.

Also, what's the word on the SFN Chess page? Not sure that's going on there, as apparantly some people see it and others don't. Sounds good though.

No effect. I hope it's not because I changed my email and it altered the way the server recognised me or something. I don't like posting so many times on a public thread so I'll just try and sort it out myself for a bit...

Ooh, also having the "Who's Online" page again would be nice, or being able to create new threads, or edit posts!

My settings must be really messed up. :P

I'll look into it when I get home. Do you get error messages? What does the website tell you?

When I click the New Thread button, I get something like the following:

J'Dona, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Since it only started a couple days ago, I assumed it was something to do with the server changes, but it may have just been my fiddling with the email that caused it (which involved me having to reenter the same password as my new one as well). I'm just assuming it has something to do with the "Registered User" tag.

At the bottom of the page it says:

You may not post new threads

You may post replies

You may post attachments

You may not edit your posts

When I click the New Thread button' date=' I get something like the following:Since it only started a couple days ago, I assumed it was something to do with the server changes, but it may have just been my fiddling with the email that caused it (which involved me having to reenter the same password as my new one as well). I'm just assuming it has something to do with the "Registered User" tag.

At the bottom of the page it says:[/quote']

Should be fixed now.

Cheers, it works! Thanks blike

There aren't many suggestions I can make, as I think the new setup is indeed far better than the last. A lot fo the stuff you had to search for before is now on the main page, which helps. Just about the only thing I can suggest is that the Latest Forum Topics on the main page be extended a bit so that more fit on. Maybe the section of it showing the forum name could be compressed onto multiple lines so that the thread name wasn't as often, which might save a bit of space for extras.

I'm liking the new look, it's a lot cleaner than before.

One thing I'd like would be the ability for us (the staff) to reward those who contribute a lot to the community, perhaps creating a new usergroup for them (with a little logo/coloured username/etc) so we can recognise their efforts. For example, swansont has done a lot for the physics stuff, and bloodhound/e)ch00n have both done a lot for the mathematics forums. Maybe even have a forum for this usergroup, although I'm not sure what would be discussed in it - perhaps forum issues, or if we did the entire mentoring thing it'd come in handy.

Just a couple of thoughts.

At the risk of sounding overly harsh, some of the people who contribute the most don't post a lot of posts, and some people who would be in that top-10 list probably don't contribute the most thought out posts (e.g. Tesseract et al)

I personally like the idea of a mentoring system with a selected group of mentors. Not only do we get to awknowledge the value of these people, but we get to help others as well. However, it'd definately have to start out small, and we'd obviously need the people to agree because it would be using some proportion of their online time.

I can't tell if that "Really?" was sarcastic or actually someone wondering.

Since I recently sent you a PM (and you didn't reply) I'm quite worried.

Although it does look like you don't have the little pop-up box on, because you hardly reply to any of them (unless I mention them in a thread).

Oh yes, did you lock that psuedo-debate thread (the original)? It's meant to be for comments about the debate now, so locking it is pointless.

VIPs maybe?

Or you could make a forum for the top 10 non-mod posters' date=' and let them discuss things in there. They could have the additional title "Senior".[/quote']

Er, discuss what? Is there something special you get to have an opinion on after a set number of posts?

and some people who would be in that top-10 list probably don't contribute the most thought out posts

I think plenty good, moon man :) . My high brain posts ease the voices in my ear, which sound so queer :) . I need go post more to make screaming stop. :):):eek: