Atlantis

ydoaPs

Is Ireland Atlantis?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is Ireland Atlantis?

If Atlantis did exist, based on the historical evidence we have there's just no way it could be Ireland.

Plato was not a stupid man, and he stated roughly where Atlantis lay. I think Erlingsson is picking out the bits he likes and ignoring those he doesn't.

can someone pull up a translation of what Plato actually said?

Not really, the records are in the Timaeus and Critias dialogues if you fancy looking the up. They are conversations between Plato and Socrates, but do refer to specifics (the land mass being the least of the details).

Plato was forming a discussion about the ideal society, so it's not even known if he was describing reality or setting a template of utopia for the purpose of discussion with his peers.

The references are thought to be related to the Minoan civilization, the most prominent and wealthy civilisation in the time period, which was destroyed along with Crete and Thera (in the same disaster that probably caused the plagues described in the Old Testament) in a rather large volcanic explosion*.

*Bigger than you are thinking**

**Yes, I do know the size you are thinking of.

Guest deletestars

On the Discovery Channel they actually figured Atlantis was off the coast of a country in the medditteranian somewhere.

Surely Atlantis sank beneath the waves without a trace. Unless someone hasn't told me something Ireland is still above sea-level...

And as for linking Dogger Bank with Ireland - that is incredibly tenuous, especially as it's coming from a geographer, not an Gael or Celtic Historian. I hope the book does not rely on the supposition.

If it ever would have existed. Then i'd give my bet on the land beneth the North Pole.. There are old maps(BC time) describing the land beneth it. Which are very precise! Einstein and some other guy i can't remember the name of laid down a theory too hiw this was possible! They said that the earth axis has changed (which i does witihn a circle, which in turns take 54 000 y to make a whole round). So that once the Land beneth Nortpole where in roughly the same climate as Sweden, norway and Finland. well well i still belive there is a big chance Plato where jsut thinking of Utopia too!

If it ever would have existed. Then i'd give my bet on the land beneth the North Pole.. There are old maps(BC time) describing the land beneth it. Which are very precise! Einstein and some other guy i can't remember the name of laid down a theory too hiw this was possible

His name was Charles Hapgood, I don't think his theory of rapid earth crust displacement was ever really taken up, as techtonic activity is studied in far greater detail than Charles Hapgood managed. Seismology has had billions invested in it, and has advanced far beyond the theorys from the 1950's.

Einstein didn't actually form the theory, he just showed an interest in it. As he failed Geography and History, his credentials in that area are not that high.

Personally, I find the maps intriguing as they do indeed show a good approximation of the land mass that is hidden. But I have to ask about the origin, as other maps from the period it is clamed to be from were very vauge. The Buache map was created from a 'found' map in 1873 (Piri Re'is) which was conincidentally the time when the poles were being fully explored. It all seems a bit like a fake map and a whole heap of wishfull thinking.

There is no land beneath the North Pole, unless you count the ocean floor.

I have read that Atlantis maybe have been inundated as a result of the Santorini Volcano. There was an extremely sophisticated civilization on Prehistoric Thera, the town of Akrotiri was abandoned when Santorini erupted.

http://www.culture.gr/2/21/211/21121a/e211ua08.html

Here's a page about the geologic history of the area:

http://www.decadevolcano.net/santorini/santorini_volcanism.htm