UV, Black Light, Dangers?

Hi Everyone,

I was looking around in my closit, and found an old black light.

I was wondering:

-What harm could it cause to myself if I turned it on?

-How harmful is radiation from typical black lights, does it matter if this one is old, like maybe 15 years?

-What common materials may I store it inm ore does it need to be stored in a UV absorber at all?

THE MODEL IS A: 365nm Spectronic B-14N with a BLE-220B Long Wave UV Tube.

Is that dangerouse at all, is it too powerful???

I look foward to reading your responses... they will save me (or cause me) much worrying.

I have a 6 foot black ligh in my front room, it`s on 24/7. it`s perfectly harmless, they`re also used in advertising and nightclubs, you can buy a bulb version, it`s just like an ordinary lightbulb with that filter coating, it block all light except the UV, and an ordinary clear bulb wont hurt you :)

I don't know about "perfectly harmless." UV radiation is tied to cataracts, and the problem with filtering out the visible is that you perceive the area to be darker, and your iris opens up to let in more light, which includes the extra UV.

This is the reason that cheap plastic sunglasses are potentially bad for you and especially kids (who are more likely to be given cheap plastic sunglasses)

I have a 6 foot black ligh in my front room, it`s on 24/7. it`s perfectly harmless, they`re also used in advertising and nightclubs, you can buy a bulb version, it`s just like an ordinary lightbulb with that filter coating, it block all light except the UV, and an ordinary clear bulb wont hurt you :)

Thats friggin sweet! whats the model?!

I dunno man, it was made in the USA by GE (general Electric), it`s a 6 footer, at 80 watts. that`s all I can read without switching it off, and I don`t want to do that as the starter`s broken and I need to use a cap and screwdriver to trigger it again (yeah I could buy a new one, but I`m lazy).

it was bought from a UK company called B&Q, and was only about a tenner with the fixings :)

i dunno, but B & Q dont seem to sell black lights anymore, or not like yt's anyway....

6ft high, and only £10,,,,,, im jealous of you! that was a wicked deal! even though it was a while back,,,,, nice buy!

[make ur wife jealous of ur shopping skills!!!!!]