Germany oppresses Home Schooling

john5746

No worries, I respect your opinion on it (that fear is the primary motivator for home-schooling).

I don't think that is generally true. I have a friend who is considering home schooling and that is purely because he thinks the state provided education is crap.

I am inclined to agree with him, but fortunately I am wealthy enough to send my daughter to private school.

Since I am not religious or wealthy I had to send my boys to public schools, they were not bad, they provided students who wanted an education with a very good one, good enough to get my boys in good universities. So now we have at least three points of view.

john5746;

Something doesn't make sense to me with this case, specifically the need to be granted asylum in the US to avoid fining or imprisonment. First, Home Schooling is NOT illegal in much of the European Union, folks can work, live, assume go to school or not, in many States. The article even mentions this in neighboring France. Then I feel sure, there must be some means to educate children IN GERMANY, with out being taught the Muslim Religion, sex education or most anything offending parents. Then the US in accepting this as a reason for asylum in the first place, would open a Pandora's box for the few that do receive asylum for real cause, think about 40-50 thousand per year of the million plus that gain entry each year.

I know absolutely nothing about German Law, but they do profess a separation of State and Church;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_Germany

This tells me their Federal Government is NOT responsible for what may be other reasons, certain subject are or are not taught, ie Religion. That is, how can this be law and then mandating the teaching of a particular religion?

As for home Schooling in the US; About half the States have specific laws regulating the practice in part and others are trying to get involved. While about 85% are for religious reason, 15% are not and can be researched under a google search 'Secular Home Schooling'...Often these sources offer both a religious and secular format, but States have no requirements of religion for home schooling, that meaning the religion parts are extra curriculum, not the base of the education. Guess I best add IMO.

freedom of religion is not the same thing as separation of church (religion) and state. In the UK, you can be whatever religion you want, but legally schools still have to push religion on you in the form of assemblies and RE classes. Similarly in Germany, where you also pay a church tax, unless you specifically state that you have no religion.