Transmitting information faster than light

Hawkin'sDawkins

I thought this had already been achieved though?!

Forgive me if I'm wrong my knowledge on this one is pretty limited, but there has been a few experiments involving "data teleportation"

I hope this is along the right track?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/3576594.stm

http://www.physorg.com/news79265847.html

The concept of quantum teleportation - the disembodied complete transfer of the state of a quantum system to any other place - was first experimentally realised between two different light beams. Later it became also possible to transfer the properties of a stored ion to another object of the same kind. A team of scientist headed by Prof. Ignacio Cirac at MPQ and by Prof. Eugene Polzik at Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen has now shown that the quantum states of a light pulse can also be transferred to a macroscopic object, an ensemble of 10 to the power of 12 atoms (Nature, 4 October 2006).

This is the first case of successful teleportation between objects of a different nature - the ones representing a "flying" medium (light), the other a "stationary" medium (atoms). The result presented here is of interest not only for fundamental research, but also primarily for practical application in realising quantum computers or transmitting coded data (quantum cryptography).

Quantum teleportation does not involve transmitting information faster than light.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Isn't it true that the speed of light inside the fiber optics is still c when it's not interacting with the atoms of the optic fiber? if so there would be no acceleration out side the cable, just a lack of interactions the photons have to deal with.

"Speed of light" ≠ "speed of a photon" when dealing with a medium. The speed of light in a medium is reduced by a factor of the index of refraction. Meanwhile, the photons travel at c, as they always do.

I was wondering:

Even if quantum teleportation is possible, lets say you want to teleport an object from the Earth to some other planet.

I guess you'll need not only to teleport the object, but also to input some speed to the object, and correct direction, otherwise the teleported object will simply crash upon the other planet.

And I suppose it is true even for teleportation between 2 points on Earth.