Super String Theory

noz92

how can 1-D super strings vibrate in 10-11 dimensional universes, and effect all of them at the same time, if something is 1-D, does that make it possible to vibrate in multi-dimensions at the same time?

but don't super strings (if i understand them correctly) actually make up subatomic particles such as quarks and protons. that's kinda' weird, imagine 4-D things making up 6-D things.

not protons. quarks, electrons, neutrinos, photons, gravitons, ect are strings. baryons and fermyons aren't.

and if protons aren't and quarks are, how is that possible if quarks make up protons?

Guest ViperX883

As far as I know there are mesons, which are composed of a quark-antiquark pair, baryons, which are composed of three quarks, exotic baryons, which are composed of five quarks, leptons, which are individual strings, and bosons, which are also individual strings. In the end everything woudl theoretically be made of strings. Also, the more modern version of String Theory involves not only one-dimensional strings, but also multi-dimensional "branes". This may be the answer to the question regarding how strings are able to affect multiple dimensions. Also, it is believed that 7 of the 11 proposed dimensions are wrapped up so tightly that even strings cannot exert any affect on them. They are on the order of the Planck length, and may even represent the Planck length.

A brief table of string theories:

Bosonic 26 Only bosons, no fermions means only forces, no matter, with both open and closed strings. Major flaw: a particle with imaginary mass, called the tachyon

I 10 Supersymmetry between forces and matter, with both open and closed strings, no tachyon, group symmetry is SO(32)

IIA 10 Supersymmetry between forces and matter, with closed strings only, no tachyon, massless fermions spin both ways (nonchiral)

IIB 10 Supersymmetry between forces and matter, with closed strings only, no tachyon, massless fermions only spin one way (chiral)

HO 10 Supersymmetry between forces and matter, with closed strings only, no tachyon, heterotic, meaning right moving and left moving strings differ, group symmetry is SO(32)

HE 10 Supersymmetry between forces and matter, with closed strings only, no tachyon, heterotic, meaning right moving and left moving strings differ, group symmetry is E8 x E8

• 6 months later...
The will of the universe causes the strings to vibrate... or not. Eh, who knows, i cant really think of how they could vibrate except from some divine source.

Of course I have an incomplete (read wrong) view of the Universe but I don't picture a vibration so much as cycles in extra dimensions. So this "space" combined with the energy/momentum in this closed "space" effects the "vibration".