Help. Virus Attack.

jordan

Does anyone know anything about W32.Beagle.AC@mm. Norton keeps finding it but can't fix it and every few minutes it pops up saying so. I tried deleting the file it says the problem is in, but it just comes right back. So we now have a premanent Norton window saying "you're computer is infected and you can't fix it. Hahahahaha."

It hasn't caused any problems until now. It just stays out of the way and we haven't had any viruses. This is the first time anything has happened like this. Right now, I am running the program AtomicMX linked and hopefully it works.

Norton is shit, but no antivirus is effective if you don't keep it updated.

The current state of affairs requires that you update your definitions at least once a day. If your a/v program forces you to download the entire definitions file in one go, or takes updating responsibility away from you completely, ditch it.

BTW - there are lots of nasties out there that are capable of quietly disabling Norton when they first infect a machine.

Norton spends too much time molly-coddling the user and trying to look pretty.

It places a layer of unneccessary crap between the user and the attack, separating you from what is actually going on.

Instead of learning from attempted attacks on their PC, and developing good mail/browsing/file handling practices, many users of software like Norton seem to think that attacks on their PC are the program's problem. Some of them even shut it down while it's disinfecting because it uses too many resources or locks the infected file so the user can't access them.

first of all, just because norton doesnt find any viruses in ur computer doesnt mean ur computer doesnt have any. when i changed my antivirus from norton, found loads of viruses and trojans. the way i check if i got any viruses is to check using my on access scanner and then all the available ones on the net. check for any false positives and such.

I used nod32 for a while, excellent detection rates, low memory and cpy usage, fast scanning time.

Rite now i am using Kaspersky Av pro. also has excellent detection rates, not only for viruses but also for trojans. most av out there can't pick up trojans. i am still looking for a seperate anti trojan.

Never used mc afee. tried its firewall, and it was disgusting.

Before i moved to nod32 i was using avast professional for a while

I still haven't been able to get rid of this and now have noticed it's trying to send out a bunch of emails but symantic says it can't send them and I don't know what's going on. For all I know, there could be hundreds of viruses on the computer. I don't work on it much. I actualy prefer the old computer. It too could have lots of viruses, but they don't cause any problems with what I need the computer for so as far as I'm concerned, they don't exist.

ok. try this

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_cleaner.html

Beagle seems to be in the list of the virus the free scanner can get rid off, including ur variant.

somehow nortons removal tools never worked for me either.

Is the virus Bagle same as Beagle? cos some antivirus websites like nod32 and kaspersky dont seem to have the removal tools for Beagle

Maybe you can check your school's Computing Services for some A/V software.

My school, as well as the University of Guelph allows their alumni to download, use, & update McAfee's VirusScan for free [well, maybe not free when tuition is counted in :P].

As mentioned above, the worm will not activate if the system clock is set to 28th January 2004 or later.

Interestingly, the link you posted bloodhound says this^. Mine definitely says July 19, 2004.

ok then. here are the removal tools from various av sites. for beagle = bagle . if thats true.

http://www.nod32.com there is a free removal pull down menu. on the left. just select Bagle.

kaspersky removal tools can be found here

http://www.kaspersky.com/removaltools

Sophos disinfection tool along with instructions here

http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/baglea.html

and from f-secure.

http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml#Bagle

i would be surprised if none of them worked.

Norton is shit, but no antivirus is effective if you don't keep it updated

ok, put ur biased voice behind u for a sec, this is urgent, and to me very important,

you are all saying that norton is rubbish, i have Norton Internet Security Professional, which include the norton AV, i regularly update it, once every 1 or 2 days!

am i under any threat, are there viruses and hackers that can still get me?

im very good on computers, im no novice, but ive always just used norton, never thought anything of it, my computer is my life!!!!!!! am i under any threat?

like i said. just because norton doesnt detect anything. doesnt mean u arent infected.

The best thing to do is to use ur scanner. note the viruses if found. go and scan with online virus scanners. test for any false positives.

Personally i think there are better AV and firewalls out there than norton.