I may have gotten a speck of sulfamic acid in my eye.

blackhole123

Today I was weighing some sulfamic acid and there was some on the scale and not on the weighing paper so I blew at it. I felt a little spec of something hit my eye (I was wearing goggles, there was a little opening on the side). It may or may not have been the sulfamic acid. My eye feels fine, looks fine, I can see fine, and I didn't think anything of it in lab, but now that I'm home I just started to worry. Again, everything feels fine I just started thinking about it and I have this habit of worrying myself.

I shouldn't be worried right? I'm not going to wake up blind tomorrow?

If you did not feel anything it is probably nothing to worry about too much. Two things I have to comment on, though. If something managed to hit your eye while wearing goggles than they do not fit you. Get others.

Also, if you think something got into your eyes use the eye washing station. Of course you are familiar with the MSDS of your chemicals, right?

Yeah my goggles are pretty cheap. I am planning on buying new ones.

I didn't really think to use the eyewashing station. Honestly, if felt like when you get a peace of dust in your eye or something. And then it went away. If it had been acid, would it have made my eye really red and burn or something? It's been a couple hours now and I feel fine.

I am familiar with MSDS of my chemicals, yes.

If you are familiar with the MSDS then you would have rinsed out your eye under the tap at least for 15 mins. Then - if irritation persists, you consult a doctor. Standard with most of these things.

Being fair - the MSDS you have might not say to do this as I haven't read it, but I bet your bottom dollar (or just your bottom) that it says to rinse for 15 mins with water then seek medical attention if irritation persists - it's pretty standard.

General rule 1-read MSDS before working with anything. 2- If you haven't read the MSDS and you get it in your eye, your best bet (if someone isn't on hand with the MSDS and some quick advice) is to rinse it with water continuously for at least 15 mins, then seek medical attention if irritation persists. Most MSDS's have this advice.

Ouch. Knowing about MSDS is not really helpful. Rinsing won't harm (unless your school does not conform to safety regulations that require regularly testing and cleaning of the system) but if by now your eye did not react it is unlikely that anything will be happening. Still, do not take my word for it as I was not there am not a medical professional yadahadaha, don't sue me, I am only a spambot.

It's probably alright by now if you haven't had any pain - wash it if you are worried as a precaution. You should be alright by the sounds of you. :) In future you should wash your eye if it happens again.

Still, do not take my word for it as I was not there am not a medical professional yadahadaha, don't sue me, I am only a spambot.

LoL - That goes for me also by the way!

I know this thread is a bit old, but as a horribly irresponsible teenager I managed to get both hydrochloric and sulfuric in me eye- even with weak concentration, you don't question if it happened or not. You probably had something else get up in there - still, if you ever think there's anything in your eye, definitely take preventative steps, even non-corrosive materials can damage the eye