Acquiring writing skillz???

Freeman

I'd recommend writing a lot as well for practise, as that's probably the best way to improve your skill, e.g. letters, essays, fiction. Bear in mind that I'm biased. In the extreme. (ERROR: SENTENCE FRAGMENT)

Really, it depends on what styles of writing you're looking to improve. If you want to improve scientific, analytical writing then reading and writing a lot of essay type papers would probably be your best bet. If it's not just analytical writing that you want to improve... well then, I'd best not get started on that.

Yeah, but the Man sayz I gotta write better... :anger:

You know, I can prove how and when capitalism will collapse (save the conditions remain and there aren't any catastrophic acts of nature); and I still get a B- in English. ARGGH!!!

Plus, most of what I have read is complex philosophy, economics, history, and plays.

What you should read all depends on what you want to right. Read stuff along the same lines (obviously, if your writting sci-fi you don't want to take your cues from Shakespear). Just read to uderstand how they make sentences and ideas flow and then tweek it to make it more your own.

JaKiri‘s advice is key; increase your vocab to expand your eloquence. That doesn’t mean nail a thesaurus to your hand or memorise random words for effect.

You may have noticed that JaKiri has a consummate grasp of language. He can, and does, make complex points in one sentence. That skill comes from him reading a whalefull of books, and using the explicitly concise vocabulary at his disposal.

If you learn to write in much the same way that you speak, your vocab will flow naturally. If you force it, it will look forced.

one book i would especially reccomend you is "Enders Game".(sci-fi) It really took to me

Also Fantasy would be a good place to view creative writing. see if u can get the sparrahawk trilogy. its quite amazing.

Remember that being a sesquipedalianist doesn't make you a good writer. Find several writers, whose styles you like, and emulate them. You will find your own style. Just go from there.

I think you should either get a dictionary, or learn that the US and UK have different dialects.

Well, dictionary.com agrees with me and takes its primary sources from US dictionaries.

My Collins English Dictionary and Oxford English Dictionary, both of which were written in England by English people, also agree.

By the way, Dictionaries deal with languages and not dialects. A dialect would be described by a regional lexicon.