Naked in Europe and rest of the world...

The Bear's Key

The "Man arrested for being naked in his own house" thread prompted the subject.

While looking up instances/tolerances of public nudity in Europe, I found something interesting online (warning: two naked people). Had to google translate the page yet it didn't get entirely translated, but it seems to be talking about a movie poster with genitilia fully in view (scroll to bottom of webpage), and how possibly it got torn down by an offended group.

From previous hearsay, I would've imagined Germany's more accustomed than the U.S. to occasional billboards or advertisements with nudity. Maybe the puritans are gaining numbers there? Or just maybe, Germany wasn't ever really more tolerant of such? Maybe readers from over there can enlighten us ;)

Now as for the rest of Western Europe and a few parts of the globe, I'm under the impression people are less uptight over nudity in designated areas. Supposedly there's more naked beaches in Europe -- as well in Brazil. Supposedly more of certain naked events or parades in broad daylight. Also I've seen on TV shows and heard from visitors to France how you might see a women's breasts on a primetime TV ad, or very steamy innuendo.

Please help list (or clear up for us) the ways nudity is handled in different parts of the world. Thanks :cool:

For a people so disgusted by sex, Puritans sure do breed fast. ;)
Ooooh, well said!

I notice no one mentions the python was in the buff, too.
Yes, and probably feeling insecure due to the size of that snake on the woman's stomach.

I think it's weird that Americans want to preserve the chastity of their women but it's the brandishing of the male genitalia that gets harsher ratings in movies. Or do they think that parading the python is going to put prurience in the place of purity in the minds of the ladies?

To the OP, while I was in Germany I never heard about that campaign (was around 2001 according to the article). And just btw. the linked website is quite odd with a few spelling errors in German. I would have to see whether I can find anything more news-like on that. Nudity in public can be considered persecuted if someone is offended by it and calls the police (the police does normally not actively act if they see someone walking nude through the street). Usually it carries a small fine.

I recall the story of a guy who always walked naked through the streets and claimed that his body was art. Some (mostly elder women) tend to call the police at some point, where he has to pay a fine and cover up. Quite often no one bothered, though.

The only time when he had serious trouble was when he undressed in court and got sentenced for contempt of the court.

Generally public nudity is considered impolite (unless in nudists camps, although you will also see women topless on regular beaches) but you will see it regularly in ads as well as on TV.

Primary sexual organs are generally not allowed to be shown on TV or ads except e.g. for teaching purposes.