Karmic Koala

toastywombel

We upgraded this server to Karmic this afternoon. No problems so far, although of course servers don't have all the graphical programs to worry about...

True true, I notice it runs really really clean. I think the problem is that flash probably has not come out with a complete version for Karmic yet. I am depending on it getting better with time as more people work on the bugs.

I noticed the scroll lag with firefox was gone, and this was why I initially started using opera. So I guess I'll take the good with the bad.

I remember someone, one of the moderators, said a while back that this site is hosted off of the desktop edition and not the server edition. My question is what program/software do you use to do that.

I remember someone, one of the moderators, said a while back that this site is hosted off of the desktop edition and not the server edition. My question is what program/software do you use to do that.

As far as I know it's the server edition. There's no graphical interface, as we do it all through SSH, so either way there's not much of a "desktop."

Installed, realized it does not support my WLAN stick (over which I access the internet without alternative access methods), reinstalled 9.04. Effect: I spent approximately day killing my old system just to reinstall it later. I'm not yet completely finished reinstalling all programs, though. So in my experience -which of course is not expected to transfer to everyone else- 9.10 is a complete waste of time.

Oh, and naming the version "karmic koala" instead of "9.10" is also a pain in the butt (not 9.10 specific, of course). I always know which version I have installed but never remember the animal associated with it. This makes google searches just one step more complicated because I always have to figure the name of the system I want to google for, first.

Been using Karmic since the Betas.

I'm happy to say I dodged all the major bugs. This release works very well for me.

However, Karmic uses a lot of "new and not quite finished" software, like the new GDM, GRUB2, etc. I don't reccomend an upgrade to anyone unwilling to tolerate a sudden lack of configure-ability (Especially if you prefer a GUI, as some configuration options are still there but require mucking about in the files or using gconftool-2).

Generally, if 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope is working for you, stick with. Unless you really want or need a more recent kernel and libraries. 10.04 Lucid Lynx will likely be the better choice for upgrade time, as GDM and GRUB2 will be more mature, and pulseaudio will finally have been de-kinked (or so they promise. We'll see :) ).

I have heard a lot about it and I read the wikipedia article, but could you explain exactly what eucalyptus does, in laymen's terms lol. From what I have read it allows software data on one system to be used by everyone in the cloud? Instead of it having to be on a server?

It allows you to manage your own datacenter as if it were Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud, i.e. you can manage any number of virtual machines on top of your physical infrastructure.

It allows you to manage your own datacenter as if it were Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud, i.e. you can manage any number of virtual machines on top of your physical infrastructure.

Ah I see, and on top of what you said I decided to do some researching into it, I understand the definition much better now, thank you.

So re-cap:

Initially I stated my disappointment through some bugs. These bugs included mostly flash player issues in opera, but also problems with flash player controls as used on you tube. Through reading and some setting changes in nautilus I have fixed all these issues. Since then I have had no problems.

I think I'll skip this one because I have little problems with my current system. I'm just too lazy to update.

I still run on Ubuntu 8.10. The next one (10.04) is a Long Term Support version, so that is probably more interesting for a lazy Ubuntu user like me. (I'm the kind of guy they want to convince to use Ubuntu: knows little of computers, and just find it at least equally attractive as Windows).

• 1 month later...

Ubuntu team is already planning for 9.10, which will see the light of day in October 2009. The desktop side will focus on beautification and an improved boot-up experience; the server side will target cloud computing.Ubuntu 9.10 is causing outrage and frustration, with early adopters wishing they'd stuck with previous versions of the Linux distro.Blank and flickering screens,failure to recognize hard drives, defaulting to the old 2.6.28 Linux kernel,and failure to get encryption running are taking their toll,as early adopters turn to the web for answers and log fresh bug reports in Ubuntu forums.

Ubuntu team is already planning for 9.10, which will see the light of day in October 2009. The desktop side will focus on beautification and an improved boot-up experience; the server side will target cloud computing.Ubuntu 9.10 is causing outrage and frustration, with early adopters wishing they'd stuck with previous versions of the Linux distro.Blank and flickering screens,failure to recognize hard drives, defaulting to the old 2.6.28 Linux kernel,and failure to get encryption running are taking their toll,as early adopters turn to the web for answers and log fresh bug reports in Ubuntu forums.

Yeah I think this is a little outdated update.

I believe already has.

But my 5.10 and later 7.04 behaved so well for several years, and when I attempted to make 9.10 work in my compfuser, too many hurdles showed up which I was unable to resolve with my poor skills.

So went to 7.10 and also does what I need veeery well. :)

The way I find convenient is to use a blank hard drive to try newest versions. If unable to make it work, I just swap back and nothing has happened.

am sooo bad with handling compfusers that tried to upgrade Mozilla and got as far as having the 'install ?' file on my desktop and cannot go beyond that. :rolleyes: