Fox News omits coverage of Washington gay rights protest

bascule

Fox, the right-wing propaganda machine, has reached a new low...

Approximately one month after running this ad in the Washington Post and two other newspapers:

Fox-News-AD.jpg

CNN's Rick Sanchez responded, asking if Fox really thought CNN failed to cover a massive protest in Washington. After giving you a run through of the total amount of coverage CNN had for the event, he addressed Fox directly, saying "you lie."

Over the weekend, tens of thousands of gay rights protesters descended on Washington. And did Fox "WE COVER ALL THE NEWS" cover it? Kind of... they rebroadcasted ABC's footage, briefly. They didn't even send their own satellite truck. They gave it 3 minutes and 42 seconds of total airtime.

As usual, Jon Stewart rips into them.

I've reached a point in my life where... when people tell me they watch Fox News... I cringe a bit, and find that I really can't take them seriously on anything which matters. The countless examples we've discussed in these threads about dishonesty, spin, and hypocrisy from Fox News... in addition to this now (just one month after their full page color attack ad for not covering tea bagger protests)... really just reinforces my inability to take someone seriously who actively tunes in to watch them.

Am I cold partisan tool for doing this, or is the reality of the bias in this situation so great that my approach to those people is valid and acceptable?

I've reached a point in my life where... when people tell me they watch Fox News... I cringe a bit, and find that I really can't take them seriously on anything which matters. The countless examples we've discussed in these threads about dishonesty, spin, and hypocrisy from Fox News... in addition to this now (just one month after their full page color attack ad for not covering tea bagger protests)... really just reinforces my inability to take someone seriously who actively tunes in to watch them.

Am I cold partisan tool for doing this, or is the reality of the bias in this situation so great that my approach to those people is valid and acceptable?

o.O

Fox is fair and balanced....especially Bill's show- that's the no spin zone!

Sure, bias exists in many places, but is it your intention to suggest that there is an equivalence in the scope, magnitude, and frequency of bias across Fox and the other news providers? Surely, that cannot be the case. Yes, they all demonstrate bias, but the type and amount of bias is hardly comparable.

In other news, last month Fox took out a full page color attack ad against the other news organizations for not covering the tea bagging protests in DC, despite the fact that those other news organizations actually did cover it... Fox encouraged pride in the fact that they were the only ones who cover everything... they show it all... Then, this last week, they failed to cover a protest for gay rights.

I'm sure you're about to tell me that CNN and MSNBC have done the same thing, though, right?

(and, not to mention the fact that this is hardly the only example of the shit they're feeding people).

Not by themselves, no.

But considering the fact that Fox News is the only station that tilts towards a conservative view, with all the others going for a more liberal one, then that makes them equal. 5 slightly baised stations are greater than one really biased one.

BTW, I think most of what is said in Fox News is garbage (I HATE Glenn Beck) but it makes me mad when people whine about how unfair Fox News is, when ALL THE OTHER STATIONS are just as unfair.

Fox is fair and balanced....especially Bill's show- that's the no spin zone!

I like how he no longer touts the show as being a "No Ideology Zone"...

Yeah, Fox News is poison and all the other media stations are shining examples of objectivity and purity and goodness in this toxic world.

The difference is the other news stations are news stations, whereas Fox News is little more than a propaganda machine spouting nothing but far right-wing opinion.

But don't take my word for it, take the word of Fox News Senior VP Michael Clemente:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,565581,00.html

An increasing number of viewers are relying on Fox News for both news and opinion' date=' and the average news consumer can certainly distinguish between the A-section of the newspaper and the editorial page, which is what our programming represents.

So with all due respect to anyone who might still be confused about the difference between news reporting and vibrant opinion, my suggestion would be to talk about the stories and the facts rather than attack the messenger, which over time has never worked.[/quote']

Yes, Fox News: we blur news with opinion until the two are indistinguishable.

But considering the fact that Fox News is the only station that tilts towards a conservative view, with all the others going for a more liberal one, then that makes them equal.

Are you kidding me? Nowadays CNN bends over backwards to pander to a conservative audience. Right wing nutjobs are juxtaposed with people in relevant fields to the news at hand, the two are given equal time, and at no point does the moderator step in and go "no, that's wrong".

I challenge you to find a recent CNN clip which you think exhibits "liberal bias".

I won't defend MSNBC, since clearly they are actually going for a more liberal audience. However they're ratings are a drop in the bucket compared to Fox.

5 slightly baised stations are greater than one really biased one.

You think 5 "slightly biased" stations add up to one really biased one? Apparently you're not paying attention to Fox's Ratings...

http://themunz.blogspot.com/2009/08/don-surber-blog-archive-boycott-boosts.html

Glenn Beck draws more viewers in his 5PM slot than CNN and MSNBC do in prime time... COMBINED.

Speaking of prime time, Fox is now #2, with MSNBC and CNN at #24 and #26 respectively.

Bill O'Reilly attracts a larger audience than the CBS Evening News.

I think you need to check your math.

Edited by bascule

it makes me mad when people whine about how unfair Fox News is, when ALL THE OTHER STATIONS are just as unfair

I see. So you DO think they are equivalent. I disagree a lot, but won't belabor the point here. I'll just support my argument with evidence, and sit back wondering if you are willing (able?) to do the same.

sTPsFIsxM3w

fKuJvYh6h9I

dN823dUu6KA

In all honesty, I could actually cite their entire schedule, but I'll leave it at that.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Again, why is it the network executives wonder why their viewship continues to drop?

Actually, FOX is killing the others in ratings last time I checked... More viewers than all of the others combined. Do you have a recent source suggesting their viewership is declining? I could use some good news and would love to see such confirmation.

You guys really have solid evidence backing your points up there.

Funny thing is, I AGREED with you that Fox News is biased. That wasn't even my point!!

My point:

If you like Item A, and Item A has flaw X, then it is wrong to complain about Item B which is guilty of X as well.

You all are complaining about bias...when you are proponents of things that have bias as well. So, you really shouldn't be complaining.

That was my point.

M33HB8WK9-I

Here's an example I found, that had me going wtf when I first heard it.

And yes, I did just type in "cnn liberal bias" into google. :D

PS - Sorry about this not being recent bascule, I haven't watched CNN for a couple of months now. Or ABC...with Charlie gone, it just ain't the same.

Edited by A Tripolation

Just to be clear here... NOBODY is arguing that CNN or MSNBC are unbiased. The argument is just that FOX is SO biased that they cannot be taken seriously (and, as I suggested with my first response, neither can people who tune in to watch it).

Over the weekend, tens of thousands of gay rights protesters descended on Washington. And did Fox "WE COVER ALL THE NEWS" cover it? Kind of... they rebroadcasted ABC's footage, briefly. They didn't even send their own satellite truck. They gave it 3 minutes and 42 seconds of total airtime.

Funny...to me this implies that Fox News can never be trusted, because they have a bias. I simply pointed out that so do all of the other precious stations and that the OP has no right to complain about their bias, if he watches CNN and trusts them with his news, to an extent.

He does, and as such, he should not complain.

I looked, and bascule has no threads open on how that the majority of the stations are overly liberal, which indicates he's willing to tolerate bias that he agrees with.

Apologies to bascule if he does, and I overlooked them.

Funny...to me this implies that Fox News can never be trusted, because they have a bias. I simply pointed out that so do all of the other precious stations and that the OP has no right to complain about their bias, if he watches CNN and trusts them with his news, to an extent.

He does, and as such, he should not complain.

Why do you continue to assert equivalence where there is none? Yes, there's some bias in the news, but you are completely dismissing the vast chasm in frequency and intensity between FOX and the others.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Bascule - Besides their obvious and often bias, FOX likely didn't air the protest due to business considerations (as an additional reason, you know, other than their painfully frequent hypocrisy and history of promulgating falsehoods).

Their audience is made up primarily of ignorant, bigoted homophobes... and let's be honest... Those people would change the channel if they saw their news station providing a voice for people seeking equality in our nation. After all, it doesn't impact them, and it's just a bunch of godless heathens who are going to burn for eternity under the loving plan of god for something they are biologically disposed to feel anyway, so why should they care?

Edited by iNow
Consecutive posts merged.

Why do you continue to assert equivalence where there is none? Yes, there's some bias in the news, but you are completely dismissing the vast chasm in frequency and intensity between FOX and the others.

I'm not dismissing it. I simply stated that I'm tired of people whining about bias from certain places, and then conveniently ignoring bias that comes from other places.

I know Fox News is full of egotistical ***holes that completely ruin almost everything.

But are you willing to admit that CNN is the same (albeit, not as frequently as Fox News, I will yield that)?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
After all, it doesn't impact them, and it's just a bunch of godless heathens who are going to burn for eternity under the loving plan of god for something they are biologically disposed to feel anyway, so why should they care?

If you're going to refer to the Bible, do it correctly. I suggest you read it first though.

Edited by A Tripolation
Consecutive posts merged.

I'm not dismissing it. I simply stated that I'm tired of people whining about bias from certain places, and then conveniently ignoring bias that comes from other places.

I know Fox News is full of egotistical ***holes that completely ruin almost everything.

But are willing to admit that CNN is the same (albeit, not as frequently as Fox News, I will yield that)?

Errmmm... Post #7, then again in post #15, and YET again in post #17.

And also, I've read the ridiculous bible, and the qu'ran. Thanks, though.

Fox News provides a service, it provides bullshit for people who prefer to hear bullshit. Fox News tells Conservatives what they want to hear, it confirms all their horrible fears about Liberals are true and that the world is going to hell in a hand basket due to Liberals and their horrific godless plans to help the poor and impoverished destroy religion and replace it with evolution. People who watch Fox News want to think he world is going to shit, they want to feel like the entire Liberal world is out to get them, they are basically paranoid and need to have this feeling of paranoia confirmed on a regular basis.

I am so tired of my Conservative biased spell checker, it's a conspiracy I tell ya!

Errmmm... Post #7, then again in post #15, and YET again in post #17.

And also, I've read the ridiculous bible, and the qu'ran. Thanks, though.

So, since anyone that watches the biased Fox News is a bigot and uneducated, why doesn't the same apply to people who watch the biased CNN?

Also, then you would know the Bible says nothing of the sort.

So, since anyone that watches the biased Fox News is a bigot and uneducated, why doesn't the same apply to people who watch the biased CNN?
I think the point isn't that news sources are biased, but to what extent they are biased. We have to expect some bias in reporting, it's just human. But Fox really goes all-out whacky so often it's just bizarre.
Also, then you would know the Bible says nothing of the sort.

I've read that book several times, and it sure seems to say that very thing.

Then again, for every person you find who agrees with a particular interpretation of the Bible, you can also find five others that disagree with it, and each other.

Any human reporting on anything can have a blind bias.

Fox News, I am sorry, panders to a specific demographic and intentionally selects both what to cover and how to cover it to in order to aggressively seek to shape the reaction of their viewers to build greater viewer loyalty.

Almost all news agencies do this to some degree by using the "be afraid!" tactic, but Fox does take that to a whole new level of partisanship and manipulation with a complete disregard for the facts.

Maybe I should wrap that in a (IMHO) but I am pretty sure only people who actually watch fox news for news consider it a news network at all.

I have read it, that is an accurate depiction of the fate of homosexuals.

Oh, yes, it mentions that in the OT, which, Christians are no longer supposed to follow. And the term "all-forgiving" extends to everything and anything, fyi.

lol yes Jill, you are quite right about that. :) The bible does have many interpretations.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Almost all news agencies do this to some degree by using the "be afraid!" tactic, but Fox does take that to a whole new level of partisanship and manipulation with a complete disregard for the facts.

Well put, padren, well put.