My Latest Security Invention :)

YT2095

I wonder if you could find a supplier for just the parts you need. Then you could set it up with instructions on installation and which phone plan to get. The only drawback would be if you have to have a government liscense to purchase the phone bits.

A security company might just split profits with you using their marketing and your package. That'd be a low-cost start-up. Or screw the other company (it may compete with their higher priced services) and just print leaflets to start. Offer the package at one price and personal installation at an hourly rate and just do it yourself. Set up a service contract to come out and change batteries for an additional charge.

I don't think Nokia is going to give you a favorable response. It's too simple an idea and offers them no monthly fee, only a hardware charge.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That`s just it exactly, the Ideas` too simple, it can`t possibly be worth anything to anyone, that`s why I had (and still have) my doubts about it, mobile fones have been out for a good 20 years, so obviously someones thought of this before and it`s been rejected, tbh, I think I`m doing this just to please my friend, he seemed so sure that it would be worth something, at least when they say no, I`ll have proof that it isn`t, besides, no harm in trying I guess :)

The big guys are into repetitive purchase. If they can't get a monthly fee or multiple purchases from the same customer within a 2-3 year span, it's not worth their time.

But this could be a great low-end security arrangement for people with remote locations they wish to secure (sheds, cabins, boat houses, storage spaces, detached garages), as a primary security system for single entrance flats, or even as a specialty security device (liquor cabinets for parents of teens, safes, manager's office while he's at lunch).

I think it'd be worth it to find out how cheaply it could be made. You might even be able to get some free publicity since it's already been proven successful and helped captured some burglars.

• 1 month later...

Update, as a result of actualy catching one of these idiots and becoming somewhat of a "Local Hero", I`ve had a letter today from the Courts, I`m to attend at 9:30am on the 11`th Nov as a prosecution witness! :)

the Treasurer of the Committee is also bringing the press with him (his next door neighbor`s a reporter) that will be as well as the press that always attend court anyway.

we`ve had 100`s of shed breakins over the last 5 years as well as serious vandalism that`s made local newspaper headlines a few times, this is the 1`st ever Bust!

I just wanna see the fool nailed to a tree and knee capped, I`ll keep you informed as to the results :)

da, ya soglasen, no ya ne budesh s kostiom v sud kort.

trans {literal}: (yeah, I agree, but I shall not be with this suit in a law court)

I figured Smart Casual would be best, nice clean jeans, crisp white shirt and tie, my waist coat, and polished shoes. that way I still look like an ordinary guy that`s made an effort and not some rich guy that doesn`t need the cash or some tramp were it doesn`t matter if the guy gets busted or not :)

a sort of "middle street" approach.

• 1 month later...

well well well...

I`ve been to court today, and the tw@ got off with a £320 fine :(

£200 as the fine £100 court costs and £20 compensation to me, that by the time it`s all "filtered through" the system, I`ll not get a penny!

he pleaded Guilty, as the evidence was "Overwhelming" and I got several compliments on my "Gadget/device" from my lawyer and from the 3 Magistrates. I didn`t have to say a word (that annoyed me too!) coz he didn`t even try and fight the case.

the guys about half again the size of me, covered in Zits, acts like he`s a Hard Man (althought the with a gash above his left eye, I`de recon the one that DID that was the REAL Hard Man) and looks worse than the junkies I`ve seen around here quite regularly!

Soooo....

what to do from here I wonder????

Soooo....

what to do from here I wonder????

I still say you should find out how cheaply this system can be made. Using only the necessary parts from a cell phone and a simple way to wire it up for a few of the most obvious uses (doors' date=' cabinets & windows), you could research how quickly you could get the parts and put them together (the [b']X[/b] factor), then do some cheap single page leaflets to businesses and residences (with a brief accounting of how it's been proven successful). State on the leaflet to allow X days for delievery.

This way it costs you only the paper, ink, sweat and time if there are no orders. Fulfill any order you get and if there aren't enough to make it worth your time, forget it. If you start selling a dozen or more a day you might want to set up an account with a shipper like UPS. :D

Btw, if you really are interested in making a go of this yourself, I would contact the local newspaper and tell a reporter when it's available. A story about "LOCAL HERO SHARES CRIMEBUSTER DEVICE" could help sell a lot of units....

a Dozen a day :)))

well if I can get hold of these cell phones (idealy the same types) all day long, get them "unlocked" and then do the "Science bit", then yeah, I`de have no problem making 12 units a day (or more).

the Logistics would be the problem though, ya see it`s ok for me with a shed and 12`v ugly car batt in there, yeah I can do a Mains elec jobby too, but 1 device one door, now that would be easy to cover an entire house or building, but who`s going to run the wires through walls and under carpets (basicly instal the sucker!)?

that`s why I wanted to go to a 3`rd party, and just sell the idea outright.

I can`t afford to patent it, although I an application from Nokia to submit my idea in detail, they say I MUST patent it 1`st :(

as for the crim, do I take it further to Crown Prosecution and get compensation, Or do I just leave it alone now??

I want BLOOD!!!! the Wife wants to "leave it now".

so..... <insert GIANT Question Mark>

as for the crim' date=' do I take it further to Crown Prosecution and get compensation, Or do I just leave it alone now??

I want BLOOD!!!! the Wife wants to "leave it now".

so..... <insert GIANT Question Mark>[/quote']I don't know how your legal system works. Would it cost you much to keep pursuing it? Are you just talking about the £20 you were awarded or could you get more through Crown Prosecution? Remember we're talking about some zitty Ted who has to resort to B&E to make ends meet and is too doofy to work a real job. How much can you count on him to pony up the dough even if the court awards it?

Or are you just looking to get him thrown in jail? What's the max jail time for something like this? I'm with Kitty on this one, you've won the day and if you can't profit by marketing your idea, you don't need the extra stress of taking this further in the courts.

Hmmm...

here`s what I`ll do then, I`ll ENQUIRE about the proc for doing this, if it`s more than she can handle, then we`ll just leave it rest (yes I`de love to see the sucker in Jail).

I can make money off these devices sure, but it`s not what I want to be making all my life either, I love my Freedom!

and no I can`t afford a lawyer for the patent work, I was hoping the compensation monies would have paid for all that.

I`m exhausted atm and just feeling like throwing my arms in the air and giving up, but realise it as only tiredness talking.

I`m sure I`ll be able to work SOMETHING out when I`m fully "recharged" again :)

and I`ve had a few pints too, so I`m probably NOT thinking as well as I should.

I can make money off these devices sure, but it`s not what I want to be making all my life either, I love my Freedom!
I have an idea for this. Distributorships can be sold so you can set up an electrician with the devices and let them do all the pitching and installation. Design patents are stupid and a utility patent is tough to get and costly but I don't think you need either if you're willing to let it go if it takes off and someone else grabs a patent.

I think the idea is to make as much as you can on your own and if you can duplicate your efforts through others (distributors) then you can make less per unit but sell more units. The key is getting the costs down and figuring out how to make it as cheap and easily installed as possible.

I understand entirely, and "simple" couldn`t be a better word for it!

to quote a certain Mad Scientist " All that remains to do, is connect these TWO wires!" :)))

and to quote another "It`s Alive.... ALIVE!!!!!...."

seriosly, it`s THAT simple :)

well you have to factor in Charging the thing sure, but other than that, Nada, Nix, nothing at all :)

Without all the extraneous phone parts, could this be made to fit into a small plastic box (with a hinged lid for replacing the batteries) with double sided tape on the back to stick it to a door, cabinet or window? If it's cheap enough you won't need to worry about hiding it from intruders.

• 3 years later...

huh?

basically, the legalities and the cash involved to register the idea were stupid!

And after hearing of a few mates getting done over by crims I decided to share the idea with everyone I possibly could incl on other forums.

thereby doing the Big-Boys out of more undeserved money as well as the street level vermin that also want to take your "hard earned".

Since this thread came back to life:

YT, how have your sheds been since the bust? Did the thugs move on to safer pastures after realizing how quickly they could get caught, or do they keep messing with the sheds there? Are you still protecting your shed with the old phone?

they kept on breaking into sheds and eventually burned down the site building costing over 100,000 quids worth of damage only a few weeks ago.

my shed never got touched since the incident however! so it seems to be a reasonable deterrent as well.

I now have one fitted on my Home shed as well, but it`s just as useful in a Car or your Home as well ;)

they kept on breaking into sheds and eventually burned down the site building costing over 100,000 quids worth of damage only a few weeks ago.

my shed never got touched since the incident however! so it seems to be a reasonable deterrent as well.

I now have one fitted on my Home shed as well, but it`s just as useful in a Car or your Home as well ;)

Where the hell are you living that burning and pillaging is such a regular occurence? The 10th century?

My brother, whist studying at university did his final project on a system just like this.

He had bike stolen a few times.

It was a device which fitted inside the bike frame, under the saddle pole, which sounded and alarm if the bike was moved (Significantly) while the alarm was set.

The end result was a similar system mounted in a car.

If the car was stolen, it would text you to say "Your car's be stolen" then you could phone the police and give them the plate number.

He never thought to market it though.

It's certainly a better method than a simple alarm (Which most people ignore).

I'd like to know if someone was stealing my property via text message, then I could run out in my pyjamas wielding a cricket bat!!

• 1 month later...