So, why aren't we travelling at light speed yet ?

The Clairvoyant

Their are experiments being done right now, into superheavy isotopes. Transuranium elements have a higher atomic number than Uranium, but they decay rapidly.

But according to the island of stability we could make superheavy isotopes decay more slowly, or even stop the decay and make them stable.

Maybe in 50-60 years, we could build the slip string drive.

Their are experiments being done right now, into superheavy isotopes. Transuranium elements have a higher atomic number than Uranium, but they decay rapidly.

But according to the island of stability we could make superheavy isotopes decay more slowly, or even stop the decay and make them stable.

Maybe in 50-60 years, we could build the slip string drive.

The isotopes in the island of stability still decay in FAR less than a second.

Most of the things sci-fi predicted became a reality. Cellphones, portable computers, robots, supercomputers, A.I, etc.

All thecnology starts out as fantasy but can become real. It's called exploratory engineering. By creating hypothetical models and simulation, then we try to fit it into reality.

I'm not saying that the Slip string Drive will be built tomorrow, I'm saying that the first experiments can be performed 50 or 60 years from now.

Long time indeed.

Most of the things sci-fi predicted became a reality. Cellphones, portable computers, robots, supercomputers, A.I, etc.

All thecnology starts out as fantasy but can become real. It's called exploratory engineering. By creating hypothetical models and simulation, then we try to fit it into reality.

I'm not saying that the Slip string Drive will be built tomorrow, I'm saying that the first experiments can be performed 50 or 60 years from now.

Long time indeed.

Sorry hon, wish it were so. But, just because we can imagine it does not mean we can do it. As we currently understand the cosmos, faster than light travel just doesn't look feasible - if any of the ways around relativity work out to be true - or possible - if those ways around relativity turn out to be untrue.

Sorry hon, wish it were so. But, just because we can imagine it does not mean we can do it. As we currently understand the cosmos, faster than light travel just doesn't look feasible - if any of the ways around relativity work out to be true - or possible - if those ways around relativity turn out to be untrue.

I totally agree, Jill, but just to be pedantic, as we currently understand the cosmos, no mass can travel faster (or at) the speed of light.

Entanglement might mean information can, and, as bascule once said in anothre thread (I think.. sorry if I am misattributing), if you manage to translate mass to information and have something translate it backwards to mass at the end-point, you MIGHT be able to send stuff faster than light.

That, though, is HIGHLY speculative. It would also require us to figure out if, at all, we can translate ourselves (which is a bit more complicated than just "mass") into information and "rebuild" ourselves back. Like a transporter. Only more realistic.

Entanglement might mean information can, and, as bascule once said in anothre thread

Actually, it doesn't (as MANY swansont posts explain) since no information is transferred in the entanglement itself. You don't know what the detected properties are until a luminal or subluminal signal tells you.

Actually, it doesn't (as MANY swansont posts explain) since no information is transferred in the entanglement itself. You don't know what the detected properties are until a luminal or subluminal signal tells you.

if something moves, something can represent information. "Beep" / "no beep" / "beep" is the basis for binary information.

I am not 100% familiar with entanglement, and - GRANTED - it's a VERY very complicated subject that still has a lot of its aspects checked, but I do see (and am not the only one, according to several of my professors, at least) how it can help us transmit data.

Is it viable now? No. Is it plausible? Probably a bit more than "slip stream", yes.

I totally agree, Jill, but just to be pedantic,
Yay pedantry! :D

as we currently understand the cosmos, no mass can travel faster (or at) the speed of light.

Entanglement might mean information can, and, as bascule once said in anothre thread (I think.. sorry if I am misattributing), if you manage to translate mass to information and have something translate it backwards to mass at the end-point, you MIGHT be able to send stuff faster than light.

That, though, is HIGHLY speculative. It would also require us to figure out if, at all, we can translate ourselves (which is a bit more complicated than just "mass") into information and "rebuild" ourselves back. Like a transporter. Only more realistic.

Yeah, and that speculation is itself fought with interesting problems of its own. That is, if QE can allow us to move information across space like that, is the rebuilt "you" really you, or a perfect duplicate of you with the original you now annihilated?

And given that at our scale it would be an unnoticeable difference, does it matter?

Haha, get it? Matter? :D

Yeah, and that speculation is itself fought with interesting problems of its own. That is, if QE can allow us to move information across space like that, is the rebuilt "you" really you, or a perfect duplicate of you with the original you now annihilated?

And given that at our scale it would be an unnoticeable difference, does it matter?

Haha, get it? Matter? :D

:P

Yeah, absolutely, the entire theory has a lot of problems and it is NOT practical at the moment. Also, I want to separate my 2 points - the point about emphasizing that no *MASS* can go on the speed of light (that much is true, information CAN go at teh speed of light, though not surpass it) and the point about entanglement.

My only point about entanglement was that *if* we can practically use entanglement, I don't see why we can't use it for communication. My whole point here is that if we want to make an imaginative guess/prediction, then slipstream is much less probable than something like entanglement.

At least entanglement is a supported phenomena.

~moo

I am not 100% familiar with entanglement, and - GRANTED - it's a VERY very complicated subject that still has a lot of its aspects checked, but I do see (and am not the only one, according to several of my professors, at least) how it can help us transmit data.

The lure of entanglement is in security of encryption, because when you check the message you can tell if someone has intercepted it. Not because of FTL speeds.

The lure of entanglement is in security of encryption, because when you check the message you can tell if someone has intercepted it. Not because of FTL speeds.

Actually I'm reading a book on Entanglement currently. (Very interesting)

There seems to be many applications, if we could understand entanglement.

I know the author cited teleportation as a potential appliance.

Here's what I've been thinking about. Since we will most likely develop teleportation before we develop FTL technology. Getting across the universe would be as simple as shooting a beam of electrons to the point of interest I guess, and using our powers of teleportatioin to "move" to that position.

Just an idea, would something like that really work?

The slip string drive i supported mathematically. It's based on the theory of general relativity, which is broadly accepted and confirmed. Through gravitational redshift and lensing. Since mass can bend space, then (theoretically) we could one day use this phenomena to travel faster than light. Using superheavy elements to bend the space around you, isolating your self from the rest of the universe.

Really this isn't a hard concept to understand, and even main stream science has been talking about Warp drive. The slip string drive is sort of like the warp drive, but more realistic since it doesn't require negative mass, or huge amounts of energy.

there's no experimental evidence at all and the 'theory' hasn't been peer reviewed at all.

try sticking to accepted science.

mainstream science has speculated about FTL travel yes, but this does not mean it is going to happen. all it means is that it is an interesting intellectual challenge.

i have seen no information on how the super heavy elements are supposed to warp space-time around the ship. just that they magically do.

Actually I'm reading a book on Entanglement currently. (Very interesting)

There seems to be many applications, if we could understand entanglement.

I know the author cited teleportation as a potential appliance.

Here's what I've been thinking about. Since we will most likely develop teleportation before we develop FTL technology. Getting across the universe would be as simple as shooting a beam of electrons to the point of interest I guess, and using our powers of teleportatioin to "move" to that position.

Just an idea, would something like that really work?

My comment was in regard to the lure of entanglement for communication. Yes, there are other applications.

However, quantum teleportation is not the transfer of matter, it is a transfer of information, i.e. the state of a system, without knowing what that state is. If you do this classically, for a two-state system like spin you get it wrong half the time. Using quantum teleportation you can do better.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
The slip string drive i supported mathematically.

Where?

lisa_wave.jpg

Gravity waves are waves through the space time fabric.

Space is warped everyday, this is what we know as gravity, 3grwarp.gif

And it is theoretically possible to create super heavy elements, insel-der-stabilitaet.png

In the future we can use these different fields of science and create the slip string drive.

(This is highly theoretical.)

What book?

Entanglement: The Greatest Mystery in Physics

by Amir D. Aczel

Great read, can't put it down.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
My comment was in regard to the lure of entanglement for communication. Yes, there are other applications.

However, quantum teleportation is not the transfer of matter, it is a transfer of information, i.e. the state of a system, without knowing what that state is. If you do this classically, for a two-state system like spin you get it wrong half the time. Using quantum teleportation you can do better.

And this is superposition? But wouldn't you get it wrong and right every time? How would someone even determine the exact state of a quantum system in the first place?

In a nutshell how does quantum teleportation work?

and how do superheavy elements supposedly create gravity waves(not that they result in pressure either)

You essentially have a dumbbell, with one of the spheres smaller than the other. f1big.gif

http://large.stanford.edu/courses/ph210/raman1/images/f1big.gif

The super heavy elements have to be SUPER heavy, think along the lines of neutronium. This dynamo will spin producing gravity waves, then you have another deformed dumbbell spinning the other way.

This will propagate gravity waves in all directions. Producing a bubble, which you can use to isolate a small volume of space around you. Sort of like a warp bubble, but different since this bubble doesn't move.

To make yourself move you deform the bubble into a egg shaped sphere, which, because of the pressure differential between the front and the back you move.

Again very highly theoretical.