Looking for a list of current living transitional organisms

Hey I was arguing with someone about evolution, specifically transitional forms, and I tried to google some images of living animals that display a fair amount of transitional traits, like with the Okapi or Tasmanian Tiger and whatever else.

I know that everything alive is the current transition of something that could be different thousands of years from now... but I just figured that by now it would be easy to find a website that listed real photographs of living animals that display the best possible evolutionary path of life. Yes I know a lot of species in between have become extinct and the two sides even more evolved and fine tuned... but still, there has to be something that can clearly show this process for people who still don't get it

thanks

but really the list of organisms that exhibit 'transitional' traits is a list of every living organism.

Or a list of every organism ever having lived whose offspring downline has at least one member.

All organisms are transitional or terminal.

There are a number of fish species that can sort of walk and live out of water for extended periods of time. They can get from a dried up pond to a lake or stream,etc.. They exist. ...ds

I seem to recall watching some stuff about (I think) lungfish on Animal Planet. They are pretty good for a fish, being able to survive in the dried mud of a dry riverbed. Apparently, they sometimes end up in un-baked bricks used to build houses there, and after a good rain might wiggle out of the wall.

These fish that can live out of water and walk are common in Western New York State. They lived in a pond on my property. Some varieties are called snakeheads. There are also catfish varieties with these same abilities. If that is not an example of a transitional species, I don`t know what is. ...ds

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

In New York these fish are called sculpin. A website with a direct link with pictures is: [ http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Amphibious_fish ]. I hope the link works. ...ds

Edited by dr.syntax
Consecutive posts merged.

All organisms are transitional or terminal.

Exactly.

From http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/05/030526103731.htm,

"Right now we can only guess that the correct answer for the total number of species worldwide lies between 2 and 100 million," says [Michael] Rosenzweig [of the University of Arizona, Tucson].

So, my guess is that the total number of transitional species worldwide lies between 2 and 100 million.

These fish that can live out of water and walk are common in Western New York State. They lived in a pond on my property. Some varieties are called snakeheads. There are also catfish varieties with these same abilities. If that is not an example of a transitional species, I don`t know what is. ...ds

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

In New York these fish are called sculpin. A website with a direct link with pictures is: [ http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Amphibious_fish ]. I hope the link works. ...ds

dr.syntax, the fish in your link are not sculpins, they are mud skippers. Yes, sculpins do indeed live in New York State but sculpins are not by any measure amphibious. Mud skippers are amphibious but they only live in the tropics.

Thanks for your replies guys, but I was actually looking for a comprehensive listing of examples... sort of a visual tree of life with real pictures as to make it clear to anti-evolution minds.

by the way, that amphibious fish thing .... It totally fvcking pwns in the arena of evolution. How the hell can anyone, when they see that, not realize that evolution happens??? It looks like a fish AND a frog... a clear ancestor type of both... *rolls eyes*

Thanks for your replies guys, but I was actually looking for a comprehensive listing of examples... sort of a visual tree of life with real pictures as to make it clear to anti-evolution minds.

well as pointed out every living thing is as "in transition" as every other; as for looking for what you seem to be looking for you're better off looking for a list of living fossils I would assume to satisfy a desire for examples of living species that sort've fit between other more and less derived species. Coelacanths or whatnot. But realistically a modern taxonomic/phylogenetic tree should be good enough, and just looking at it you can see how everything flows into everything else and branches out.

Evolution operates as a continuum which is always amidst a transition.

If you're looking for "give me something that can blow my mind" evidence of "transitional" species, take a look at ring species.

One visual Tree Of Life coming up:

http://tolweb.org/tree/