Athiests denied adoption on lack of faith??

padren

Is this for real?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,877155,00.html?

It's unimaginable. The language in the article is unimaginable. I am simply at a loss for words, is this really what it sounds like?

Last year the Burkes presented their adopted son, David, now 31, with a baby sister, Eleanor Katherine, now 17 months, whom they acquired from the same East Orange agency. Since the agency endorsed the adoption, the required final approval by a judge was expected to be pro forma. Instead, Superior Court Judge William Camarata raised the religious issue.

Inestimable Privilege. In an extraordinary decision, Judge Camarata denied the Burkes' right to the child because of their lack of belief in a Supreme Being. Despite the Burkes' "high moral and ethical standards," he said, the New Jersey state constitution declares that "no person shall be deprived of the inestimable privilege of worshiping Almighty God in a manner agreeable to the dictates of his own conscience." Despite Eleanor Katherine's tender years, he continued, "the child should have the freedom to worship as she sees fit, and not be influenced by prospective parents who do not believe in a Supreme Being."

Sorry sorry - the darn article is from 1970. I completely missed that - my bad.

I have to ask, though... How many of us would really truly be surprised if the article were current... If it were written just this week?

I, for one, would not be surprised in the least... Disappointed, disheartened, discouraged? Yes. Surprised? Nope. Not at all.

I have to ask, though... How many of us would really truly be surprised if the article were current... If it were written just this week?

I, for one, would not be surprised in the least... Disappointed, disheartened, discouraged? Yes. Surprised? Nope. Not at all.

Sorry, but we have made great strides - atheists can adopt a lot more freely now as long as they believe in having one mommy and one daddy.

Sorry, but we have made great strides - atheists can adopt a lot more freely now as long as they believe in having one mommy and one daddy.

How about if Mummy's a boy or Daddy's a girl?

How does the US law figure on same sex adoptive parents or does the official policy differ depending on each state?

In the UK it's dealt with on a case by case basis and assessed on its individual merits, irrespective of a prospective couples sexual orientation. They are protected from negative bias here under the Equality Act (Sexual Orientation) Regulations 2007.

The Catholic Church was recently brought to account from the Charity Tribunal here for breaching the above law on same sex adoption:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/5433917/Catholic-charities-breaking-law-on-homosexual-adoption.html

Is this a 'hot potato' there?

As a matter of interest, how strong do you think religious opinion is in influencing official US policy on subjects like the above?

My perception, via the UK media, is that it is quite overwhelming and prospective politicians there compromise themselves to get the religious vote, hence their undue influence on matters that contravene their religious doctrine.

Is this broadly right or not?

Padren, that was classic. :) Interesting article, though!

How about if Mummy's a boy or Daddy's a girl?

How does the US law figure on same sex adoptive parents or does the official policy differ depending on each state?

Good question -- I found this article which may be of some assistance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_adoption

In the United States, there are 270,000 children living with same-sex couples. Of these, one-quarter, or 65,000, have been adopted.[1]

It's just the Wikipedia, but it quotes a source so it might be good data. The article goes on to state that it's legal in 14 US states, and contains a list of what looks like all 50 states, showing which ones allow or disallow, etc. It lists some data for other countries as well.

Padren, that was classic. :) Interesting article, though!

Good question -- I found this article which may be of some assistance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_adoption

It's just the Wikipedia, but it quotes a source so it might be good data. The article goes on to state that it's legal in 14 US states, and contains a list of what looks like all 50 states, showing which ones allow or disallow, etc. It lists some data for other countries as well.

Thanks for the link Pangloss, very interesting...it gives a good rough overview of offical attitudes across The States and the rest of the world doesn't it?

Israel was massive surprise...i totally underestimated their abiity for sexual/gender tolerance! I was, obviously, completely wrong in thinking that it was totally dogmatic in favour of their religious doctrine with respect to homosexuality...wonders never cease!

They make much of America look like a third world country in that respect....but they do have many more heads to turn around to the tolerant way. than Israel :D