Custom User Titles

As I poked around another forum, I noticed something. On that forum, many users get titles from the admin, things like "Top Poster 2003" or "Top Spammer 2003" or even "Top Waffler".

I thought maybe it would be nice to spice things up a bit around here by giving out more of them, and not just to bad people. You could give out "Top Psuedoscientist" titles, or perhaps "Mr. Know-It-All". Or, if a user hit a certain amount of posts, he could get a title.

A few suggested titles:

1. Swansont should get one, for always knowing the answer.

2. Tesseract, for posting even though he has no clue what the answer is.

3. ExtraSense, for obvious reasons. ("Martian Believer")

4. albertlee, for always having a computer problem... :P

No offense to those people!

I think it would make the forum a little more interesting... ;)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few suggested titles:

1. Swansont should get one' date=' for always knowing the answer.

2. Tesseract, for posting even though he has no clue what the answer is.

3. ExtraSense, for obvious reasons. ("Martian Believer")

4. albertlee, for always having a computer problem... :P

[/quote']

LOL, I completely agree with that,it would be nice to have a title... :D;)

I suggest Sir Post-A-Lot, or Mr.Omnipost :P

Normally that sort of thing is reserved for extreme cases, like 'Intelligence', or people who have been banned for persistent idiocy. People probably don't want custom titles unless it is completely clear they are not being associated with such crowds.

ExtraSense is more likely to get his name changed to ExtraDense or something though tbh...

Custom user tags are the quickest reference that the poster is a mod or admin, or that's how they are supposed to be used. I understand people seem to chase after a custom title, for teh prestige, but I’ve never really seen the point. It carries no weight outside the forums, and only a perceived one within.

It's like chasing to be a token Mod, or suchlike.

*Yawn*

But it could be funny....and cause alot of controversy if people didnt like their tags, hang on who would decide what the tag was to be for a person, admin/mod? or the user themsleves

Easy to say when you already have a custom title YT. :P

But really, it wouldn't have to be for many people. Just the ones that are very controversial or for ones the admin/mods. can come up with something very clever. For the most part, like YT said, we could just leave them the same.

I have one as a result of being a Moderator, I`m a member of a couple other forums, a gardening one and aommasters, I`ve also been to many others (not as a member just to look around) and in non of them are custom user titles outside of moderator/admin, unless it was to make a joke of someone either banned or in high probability of being banned.

it seems to be a winning combination, and as I said, if it aint broken, don`t fix it :)

If it ain't broken, fix it until it is.

To quote the FAQ:

· How do I get a custom user title?

Custom user titles are a moderators perk. In some cases, regular users may get their own custom user title; however this is usually a way for the administrators to mock them.

So, custom title insults are allowed and should be necessary to tell newcomers about certain users, like Cap'n Refsmmat's list suggests. :P

who cares what other forums are like we can make this one better :P

I care about THIS forum! and messing with a winning combination is just asking for trouble!

think back to the reputation points and all the chaos that produced, do you or anyone else want THAT kinda crap all over again just for the sake of changing something that isn`t broken in the 1`st place????

think about it.

I care about THIS forum! and messing with a winning combination is just asking for trouble!

think back to the reputation points and all the chaos that produced' date=' do you or anyone else want THAT kinda crap all over again just for the sake of changing something that isn`t broken in the 1`st place????

think about it.[/quote']

Sorry I wasnt here yet for the reputation points, what was that?

Sorry I wasnt here yet for the reputation points, what was that?

You could give someone a reputation by rating one of their posts, and that would contribute to their total reputation. The more reputation you have, the more you change another person's. The reputation is shown by a little symbol near your name.

I have one as a result of being a Moderator, I`m a member of a couple other forums, a gardening one and aommasters, I`ve also been to many others (not as a member just to look around) and in non of them are custom user titles outside of moderator/admin, unless it was to make a joke of someone either banned or in high probability of being banned.

http://forum.team17.com

There is an example of a forum with many titles. Things like Top Waffler and Ungrateful and stuff.

You could give someone a reputation by rating one of their posts, and that would contribute to their total reputation. The more reputation you have, the more you change another person's. The reputation is shown by a little symbol near your name.

I still think it's a very good idea, it just needs refinement to make it fairer.