Custom User Titles

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you could install the Vb shop thing where you can buy titles and other things like coulered usernames n stuff. theres a forum i use alot called Pc Mechanic and when you reach 1024 posts (to do with computer bits n bytes?) you can choose a custom avatar and title, maybe something like that. to be honest im not really fussed, but sometimes it can be funny and sometimes there can be people whining for a title and a bit of contraversy to what title they recive.

This is a very sensible and useful forum and I think it would be dangerous to start allowing custom titles and such like. Keep it simple so that people focus on the content rather than titles, signature images and all that guff.

Most of the forums with custom titles and such like tend to be game or clan based. This forum attracts those who are interested in more cerebral pursuits and I feel that it may turn those members away.

but surely if the Science and data given is good, and the posts are up to snuff, we don`t need any fancy frills with bells and whistles?

the referals idea`s not bad though, but it should have a caveat that the refrered person makes good posts, and not just signs up for the sake of another name added to the referer :)

To rate "good" posts we'd need the reputation system back though; although I think Sayo's planning to work on that.

I think a few bells and whistles encourage people to stick around though, and I daresay attract a few more people. Personally I'd like some fancy toys to play with ;)

I don't see what custom titles could do beside encourage some spamming, but then they'd get "Top Spammer" and that certainly wouldn't be a good thing.

But before we do that we have to figure out the other odd problems like posts dissapearing and stuff.

I`m a rotten spoil sport, boring as a wet sunday and my fave saying is Baah Humbug :)

but seriously, incentives sure, but for the right and qualified reasons would make sense too, don`t you think?

Just to clarify, the forum with all the titles was just recently arguing over whether or not they should have a General Discussion board. They think it will immediately fill up with spam and so they should never try.

But we have general discussion, and we don't have that problem.

And vice versa with the user titles.

As I've said, it's all a bit of fun really. I highly doubt it'd detract from the post quality, and if we implemented the vbShop type thing - say charged $2 for a custom title - it'd get some more income for the site.

On a sidetopic, anyone know how well the donations are going?