Latin Language Class over Spanish/German for Future Scientist?

bbrubaker

Will Latin help me more (with scientific vocabulary) than Spanish, German, Arabic or Japanese?

Also, is it true that Latin is more of a written language as opposed to spoken?

And that, in general, I will have less spoken tests and interviews than Spanish or German?

Thanks,

BB

Edited by bbrubaker

if you are going into the medical profession some latin may be useful.

if not, then learn something else although it is not a necessity.

the only latin i have seen in science is species names and there are some holdovers in chemical elements as represented on the periodic table(the symbol Pb is from Plumbum, the latin word for lead).

The reason Latin is more of a written language than a spoken one is because it's rather died out. It's an extinct language, with no native speakers. It's mostly evolved into Italian, which is the closest living relative, and a dialect still remains that is used in the Catholic Church called Church Latin.

However, since it has died out (and there were obviously no voice recording devices back then :P) no one really knows how the common dialects were pronounced. We have an idea, and if you learn Latin proper it will sound different from both Church Latin (which you may be familiar with if you have been to a Catholic mass) and anglicized medical Latin. 'Vulgar' Latin is it is called, is taught with only hard c's and g's. So the following sentence:

"Ducle et decorum est pro patria mori" (Sweet and honourable it is to do for the country)

In Church Latin:

DOOL CHE ET DE KOR UM EST PRO PATRIA MOR EE

In Vulgar Latin:

DOOL KE ET DE KOR UM EST PRO PATRIA MOR EE

And in anglicized Latin:

DOOL SE ET DE KOR UM EST PRO PATRIA MOR EE

The pronunciation difference is also apparent in many medical and legal Latin terms, and if you learn Latin (and you're anything like me) you're going to cringe whenever someone pronounces a soft c or g or a short vowel.

I'ld agree with insane alien, in that if you want to enter a medical profession, latin (or greek!) will be a substantial asset, what with numerous anatomical terms, being derived from latin and greek. If you're keen on zoology, or botany latin can also make it easier to learn the latin names for various flora and fauna, since the names have more meaning, once you are capable of comprehending them. Otherwise, its simply a name that you memorize, and this makes it a lot more difficult.

However, outside of these two areas, I find that latin doesn't really do very much in the sciences. Physics is pretty much devoid of it. While in chemistry, you do find compounds that have latin or greek origins, it's very systemic in nomenclature, and as such, latin won't be much of an asset, just a bit of an interesting oddity when you realise where certain things derive from, but other than that, it does little, from a practical perspective.

Spanish and German, have little to do with the sciences, directly, however its often useful to learn a second language. (In saying this of course, I'm sadly being a hippocrite, as I plan to give up french, as soon as its no longer mandatory. To put it lightly, my teachers are horrible (remember that this is putting it lightly), and I have no interest in the subject.)

But like a lot of things in life, it's all about personal interest. It depends upon what you find interesting in subject, what you dislike, and what you value, and (I would be a naive moralist, if I did not say otherwise) what is required of one. Anyhow, all things set aside, best of luck in your choice!

Many graduate degree programs require knowledge of a foreign language like French, German or Russian before you can graduate. I know the University of Texas' graduate programs in physics restrict you to only those three languages, in fact. So while Latin may have some use, you'll end up learning a non-dead language anyway.

Well, the one thing about chinese (and by the way there are several dialects which could be denoted as "chinese;" ie. mandarin, cantonese, etc.), is while it is the most widely spoken language, it's very limited geographically. It also happens to be pretty damned hard to learn, for one whose native tongue is Germanic, due to pronunciation. I'ld say to learn Russian, but that's even more limited, however one is of course by nature biased towards their native tongue. ;)

Edited by Theophrastus
Q!

Well, the one thing about chinese (and by the way there are several dialects which could be denoted as "chinese;" ie. mandarin, cantonese, etc.), is while it is the most widely spoken language, it's very limited geographically. It also happens to be pretty damned hard to learn,

It's not too bad. I find it pretty logical, actually, and it meshes well with my background in data management. The language itself is really straight forward, and the only real problem I've found is training my ear to hear the different tones.

Either way... I imagine there will be a great many more Chinese scientists these next few years, so it may not be such a bad idea. Oh... and I should have specified... Mandarin (simplified and traditional are close enough, and only relevant in writing... also... traditional is really only used in Taiwan and Hong Kong, most everyone else uses simplified).

Cheers.

Grammar is simple, learning the tones (both listening as well as reproducing) is often hard for those not trained to hear them. And you mean even more? Here where I am we got whole labs in which the primary language is Chinese (well, or Korean).

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with iNow.

As future scientists, we can't forget the number of Chinese scientists.

There are many Chinese scientists.

Learning Spanish is useful for entry-level jobs and other jobs related to business and international relations in America.

I think Spanish will make you think about logic, grammar, and connecting dots more than some Asian language.

On a more academic level, you'll find more of a usage for Chinese than Spanish.

Learning both would be ideal.

Edited by Genecks