PyroChemistry

Tian_07

especially the nitrogen trihalides. ng can be stablized easily, while the trihalides will oxidize unless you keep them really, really cold and do not do so much as move them slightly. contact with organics or metals will explode them.

speaking of nitrogen trihalides...im going to be making a very small amount the triiodide once i extract iodine from my seaweed ashes. (im thinking about 2mL of it).

which explosive is that then, it carnt be a safe one, could it? by safe i mean one that would not go of randomly

Organic peroxides, for example HexaMethyleneTriperoxideDiamine (HMTD for short) or TriCycloAcetone Proxide (TCAP for short) will do just as well as Caesium for a big bang underwater. are they safe? No, not particularly, but certainly safer than Cs in Water! :)

could it go off randomly? well yes, I expect it can, but so can many other explosives, personaly I`de avoid organic peroxides, but by the same token I`de RUN like a MOFO from Cs and Water sooner! :)

With nitrogen triiodide, even if it's wet it will still decompose. It is NOT something that you want to make large quantities of and store away. It's much better to just make the little bit you need as you need it. Over time, it will slowly decompose and you'll lose the compound that you've created. It's because of nitrogen triiodide, however, that I really began collecting elements and have had so much fun with them. :) What's even more fun is if you mix some sugar into the solution with the KI, I2 and NH3. This way, when the triiodide has formed and is drying out, the sugar will attract bees and insects towards your high explosive. Then when the bee/hornet goes to suck up some of the sugar.......... KABOOM!!!!!!!! The insect is no more. lmao. :D

that was a pretty sick rocket page man...have you ever flown any of your experiments? also, to really increase the burn rate and overall impulse of your sugar motor, fill the core with some BP or pyrodex. that is, if the core isnt a cone burning core. do you make the core the length of the motor? or do you make a cone at the bottom of the motor? also, where do you get your nozzle material? online? hardware store?

sorry for the late reply, the core is a bore hole about the width of the nozzle all the way through, i make the nozzle out of some concrete type stuff called "pourstone" availiable at home depot. the only engines i have flown were basicially large bottle rockets with 3 foot 3/8 inch wooden dowels and a large pvc rocket engine taped to the end, i even cast a fuse and an ariel shell full of flash powder to the top of one and it worked beautifully. It flew almost out of sight and the flash and smoke was seen 5+ seconds before i heard it. im sure i could calculate the altitude based on the sound delay but i never tried to figure it out.

http://www.angelfire.com/un/rocketman

i havent updated in awhile, but a big update is comming soon!

any ideas for future rockets would be greatly appreciated

I was reviewing my MSDS that came with my order of KCLO4 and noticed a bold warning stating "Forms explosive mixtures with alcohols." Are we talking about a spontanious reaction or what?

It also states "may produce fatal aplastic anaemia and other blood disorders" so how careful should i be with this stuff? This is extremely fine powder and becomes airborne very easily. Should i use a respirator, goggles, and gloves when handling this stuff?

This MSDS can be found at http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/PO/potassium_perchlorate.html

BTW this stuff is awesome when mixed with pyro grade Al powder in a 70/30 ratio or so. Produces a bright flash and burns in millisecs. But whats the deal with mixing with sulphur? I have seen sulphur + KCLO4 in flash power and star formulas without any warnings. Should i try it?

Well, I'm not really 100% sure about this case, but if you read the MSDS for some common stuff like sugar and water, it can get kind of funny in terms of how serious they take things. Since society has evolved to the point where nothing is your fault and anything that goes wrong is someone else's fault, MSDS sheets have to mention every possible thing that can happen irregardless of how remote the chances of it happening are.

I tried posting something about this a while ago, but no response, so I'll try again:

Has anyone heard anything about octanitrocubane, I've read everything there is from the chicago university website, but have not been able to strain any more information out of the net. Im sure its there, just I can't be arsed to find it ;)

Also, I was wondering if it is possible for it to be synthesized. (By someone with access to a lab, obviously I'm aware I couldn't do it in my back garden, and I know it can be done with access to a lab like that of Chicago university, but is it possible for someone who works at say an upper (High) school chemistry lab to synthesize the marvel?

Any replies to this post would be much appreciated

Regards

Ld

well except for one thing you not knowing how to make already shows you are unqualifyed to make it secondly you will most probably kill your self while making it thirdly if it did go of while you were making it it could possibly kill other people near you, forthly you live in england where abouts because an explosion that loud would definatly bring around the police unless you live in yorkshire or aplace like that where there are big open areas, and so you would be arrested for making high explosives, these are just a few. actualy yes why not make it go ahead its a brilliant idea, i wonder why nobody else thought of doing it, and you probably did not get answerd before because it is a stupid and ludicrous idea,

I figured out a way to make a cheap, easy, and reliable electric ignitor from old christmas tree lights. I documented the process on my website with a video of the test. for the test i used too much flash powder and a fairly powerful explosion resulted. the amount of powder i used is unknown, only a pinch, but i guess a little goes a loooooong way. Hope i didnt piss off my neighbors too much.

to see the pictures and video go to

http://www.angelfire.com/un/rocketman

and click on "Christmas tree bulb ignitor"

rocketman...maybe consider using some BP and dextrin or some slow burning sugar powder. that would increase heat generated over a longer period of time, thereby giving you a much better chance of ignition. not only that, but the flash powder can blow whatever you're igniting into bits. and thats no good in rocket motors. one crack in a grain and KAPOW cato.

yes, i agree. flash powder is not the stuff to use for rockets, but i didnt have any bp laying around and i figured that fp would be better for the video anyways.

speaking of bp, does anyone know where to get some good charcoal for bp, all the stuff at local bbq stores is made from hardwoods and therefore not very reactive at all.

I'm back after a couple of days break :rolleyes:

I've got a question.

I made my mortar today.

But now i'm thinking of a projectile to put in.

I'll use a film container.

Would this work.

Put a couple of grams of Magnesium Flash powder in the middle

then around it some Aluminium shreds.

Would this make a crackling effect

Also

Would the Al. need some oxidant or something to make it burn.

Post your thoughts

Thnx

LP Aspirin

I don't think it needs an additional oxidizer if you use KClO3/4 + Mg flash powder. Relatively small aluminum, titanium or magnesium shards are just fine. Also, you might want to try lead monoxide + Mg combination for a crackling effect.

I was reviewing my MSDS that came with my order of KCLO4 and noticed a bold warning stating "Forms explosive mixtures with alcohols." Are we talking about a spontanious reaction or what?

indeed it IS exlosive, but it`ll require a blasting cap (a #6 or #8 british) to detonate it, a similar was used in WW2 called "Cheddite" that used nothing as volatile as alcohol and only needed a Chlorate.

and yes if made into an "airfloat" powder it IS harmfull to health :(

well except for one thing you not knowing how to make already shows you are unqualifyed to make it secondly you will most probably kill your self while making it thirdly if it did go of while you were making it it could possibly kill other people near you, forthly you live in england where abouts because an explosion that loud would definatly bring around the police unless you live in yorkshire or aplace like that where there are big open areas, and so you would be arrested for making high explosives, these are just a few. actualy yes why not make it go ahead its a brilliant idea, i wonder why nobody else thought of doing it, and you probably did not get answerd before because it is a stupid and ludicrous idea,

Put me in my place!