Blood groups

kleinwolf

I have to start to learn medicine, and I had a question. How were blood groups determined ? is it by mixing some blood of several people on a plate and it could coagulate or not ?

I'm not an expert, but I think they first get a sample of blood. After putting it in a petri dish or something, they combine the different types of blood to see which ones the cells bind with.

I know that isn't the full explaination, but that's the basic gist of things I believe.

Blood types are defined by the presence of specific antigens. Tests are generally immunoassays either to detect the antigens directly or to detect the antibodies that the body has developed against said antibodies.

The blood cells do not react with each other.

Blood types are defined by the presence of specific antigens. Tests are generally immunoassays either to detect the antigens directly or to detect the antibodies that the body has developed against said antibodies.

The blood cells do not react with each other.

Thanks for clearing that up.

You have two different types of blood cell antigens, the ABO antigens, and the Rh factor (+ or -). If you are "A+", your blood cells carry the A antigen and the Rh factor. If you are "B-", your blood cells carry the B antigen, and do not have the Rh factor. If you are O+, you do not have either A or B, but do have the Rh factor. If you are "AB-", you have both the A and the B antigens, but not the Rh.

The prenancy complication you are thinking of relates only to the Rh factor. If the mother is Rh- and the father is Rh+, it is possible that the baby will inherit the father's Rh factor and be Rh+ too. Since some of the baby's blood passes into the mother's circulation via the placenta, the mother's immune system may react to the baby's Rh factor and produce IgG antibodies. These antibodies can then pass into the baby's circulation via the placenta, and cause hemolysis (disruption of the blood cells), which is generally not good for one's health. Having a different ABO blood type usually does not cause the same problems because the mother is more likely to make IgM antibodies to these antigens, and IgM does not easily cross the placenta.

The baby has a chance of inheriting whatever each parent has (or in the case of AB, either A or B). Thus, if both your parents are "O", so are you. If one parent is A and one O, you may be either A or O (depending on whether the "A" parent carries one or two A genes). If one parent is AB+ and the other is A-, you could be A+, A-, B+, B-, AB+, or AB- (but not O).

For transfusions, you basically have to avoid giving someone blood that has antigens that the recipient does not have. Thus, O- (lacking A, B, and Rh) is the "universal donor", and AB+ is the "universal recipient" (because it already has all possible major antigens).

But if the parents are A and O, the baby turns out to sludge, due to the preceding texts.

So how can genetics of blood exist, only a A can have babies with A (since if you mix O blood with A, the serum of O makes A coagulate).

On the other hand if both are A, if for example A would be dominant, A and A could give O (if parents were AO AO ?).

This test I didn't know, so, before you marry, you should check this, else it could be a cause of divorce, if the parents suddenly get the weird idea to have children.

So in some sense, a couple should put their reproductive feeling in submission to this test, so that psychologically seen a couple can be breakable under medical consideration (in a psychopathic world, we could see this as a way to take women from other parts)

Edited by kleinwolf

But if the parents are A and O, the baby turns out to sludge, due to the preceding texts.

So how can genetics of blood exist, only a A can have babies with A (since if you mix O blood with A, the serum of O makes A coagulate).

On the other hand if both are A, if for example A would be dominant, A and A could give O (if parents were AO AO ?).

This test I didn't know, so, before you marry, you should check this, else it could be a cause of divorce, if the parents suddenly get the weird idea to have children.

So in some sense, a couple should put their reproductive feeling in submission to this test, so that psychologically seen a couple can be breakable under medical consideration (in a psychopathic world, we could see this as a way to take women from other parts)

Haha, no. Of course you can have children with somebody with a different blood type. Did you not read GDG's post?

Yes, I was doubting some medical secret, that in fact seem more racist than having any scientific bases. Maybe I have to find statistics on diseases or wealth depending on the blood type of the parents.

BTW : I think O group contains the most human on earth. Can we deduce from this, that O group people should be psychologically colder towards meeting other people ?

Edited by kleinwolf

I thought since O group is bigger, the group will ask for less new people.

But in fact, O seems very wide groupe, and in southern america, so more hot blooded people, whereas A, much more seldom, is more in northern regions.

Do you know if people of same blood groups integrate better, socially speaking ?

Do you know if people of same blood groups integrate better, socially speaking ?

What are you even talking about, how would blood group have anything to do with social function, i'm sure many of the population don't even know what their blood type is.

I has no relation to social function, it is purely a biological adaption that has occurred over time, different areas of the world have different proportions of people with different blood groups by chance.

The problem only occurs between mother and baby, if the mother has had multiple children who have are RH+ when she is RH-, it is the equivalent of having a booster shot after you are vaccinated, memory cells already exist and can differentiate faster and in larger numbers, causing blood coagulation.

A and O don't coagulate, plus as GDG explain due to the large molcular weigh of IgM it can't pass across the placenta and the baby has its own fetal haemoglobin due to it needing a lower oxygen dissociation constant.

O doesn't exist as a type it is purely a lack of a type and a person can pass on an O blood type while being A/B.

By chance ? But maybe blood groups have at least as much influence as skin color, but we do not see, just feel a kind of exclusion.

For example, if I'm in Switzerland, it's more A group, and I feel rejected not well, because I'm O ? I should better go to Florida or California...Does this has any base in psycho or medical statistics ?

Edited by kleinwolf

By chance ? But maybe blood groups have at least as much influence as skin color, but we do not see, just feel a kind of exclusion.

For example, if I'm in Switzerland, it's more A group, and I feel rejected not well, because I'm O ? I should better go to Florida or California...Does this has any base in psycho or medical statistics ?

Go find some reputable evidence of your assertion and then this conversation can continue.

I don't think these will ever exist. At most statistical covariance between groups and climate maybe, but these are no explanation, this is just passive sampling.

Evidence is only when a covariance is 100%, which never occurs in that kind of question, and hence this should end this conversation.

Actually, you are not the first person to think of this. For example, it was a fad in Japan in the 1920's, but was shown to be without any scientific basis. The idea was also popular with the Nazi's...

If the germans make it, it's gotta be good!

I actually have a number of friends in Germany and Switzerland (I work for a Swiss company). There are many great German (and Swiss) products. But of course, you can still find crap.

On the other hand I am wondering whether it is a German product at all. I mean, I have not seen things like that in Germany at all.

Which, the towel or the blood tests? The blood tests in Germany were probably never a consumer item, and would have died out with the Nazis. I'm pretty sure they make towels somewhere in Germany ;)

Which, the towel or the blood tests? The blood tests in Germany were probably never a consumer item, and would have died out with the Nazis. I'm pretty sure they make towels somewhere in Germany ;)

The shamwow was invented in Germany.

Which, the towel or the blood tests?

Ack, the towel of course. Only if it is sold in Germany it is under a different name. Of course there are a gazillion towels around. But I have neither heard nor seen anything similarly marketed like it.