Need help building perpetual generator

Novice

I am building perpetual generator which I am copying from video I saw at http://www.wonderhowto.com - pepetual generator. I superglued 12 magnets around a plastic lid and by placing a seperate magnet a little distacne away the top would spin. the top is place on tip of toy generator. My problem is I cannot get the top to spin. I was supposed to use nano magnets but could not find them so I used neldymium magnets.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated. this is for my 5th grade science project.

Thank-you

Jack

Well... the answer you will arrive at is that a perpetual motion is not possible. So, the fact that it all doesn't work will be a perfect result for your science project.

In fact, I am sure you'll fail the class if you really build something that seems to have perpetual motion (because it means you're cheating somehow).

In fact, I am sure you'll fail the class if you really build something that seems to have perpetual motion (because it means you're cheating somehow).

Or saved the world and screwed over the whole physics community, lol.

Or saved the world and screwed over the whole physics community, lol.

Hehe... indeed. And possibly tomorrow gravity reverses and we're all flung into outer space. This all doesn't make a lot of sense.

Some things are just the way they are. The first law of thermodynamics is one of those things. You cannot make something out of nothing. Period. Accept it.

We're done here.

• 2 months later...
~~nothing is impossible if you believe its not!~~

Something I learned here at SFN... finding a rational square root of the number two is impossible no matter how much you believe otherwise.

what about in another instence of reality in which math was desighned in another way so that 2 could have a rational square root? might not be this reality, but its there :P

With such assumptions (that sqrt(2) does not always have the same result) we can throw away everything that science has produced.

There's no point in having such thoughts. It's fun, but it will lead (quite literally) to nothing.

The way I see it: possibly some other reality exists... but I am quite certain that I am not inside that other reality, and therefore it's completely irrelevant.

For a perpetual motion to exist, the machine would have to be independent of any forces whatsoever, whose slightest pull, would upset the equilibrium, and bring your machine to slowly drive to an eventual halt. Thus your machine can not exist in this universe, as bearing matter, gravity, however small, will have its effect.

Secondly, the beauty of mathematics is that unlike science where all theories remain just that, theories (not necessarily because they are not true, but because to prove them applicable in reality would mean taking measurements at every point throughout the universe's span, where the theory somehow plays out, however, this does not mean there is no proof, but rather that we are 99% sure. Of course, certain theories, particularly many associated with quantum mechanics are more indefinite but I'll not get into that), as they are based in reality, dealing with the abstract, math can be proven 100% true. Exists outside of reality, and to disprove the square root of 2 being an irrational number, you would have to develop your own system of abstract thought. (rolls eyes sarcastically) Good luck with that!

i been working on perpetual motion for a long time i think the best bet is going to have to do with some work in physics. Id like to see someone trap an -electron between to + atoms and bounce it back and further using gates.

i been working on perpetual motion for a long time i think the best bet is going to have to do with some work in physics. Id like to see someone trap an -electron between to + atoms and bounce it back and further using gates.

Umm... if I'm not mistaken, electrons in covalent bonds are always "trapped" between two "positive" atoms. And you don't have to search long if you want see a covalent bond. A glass of water or your very own body is made of it.

Also, electrons in metals travel around the positive cores, and frequently find themselves between atoms.

If you were talking about completely immobilizing an electron... I'm not so sure that this is the way towards perpetual motion.

If you're going to make perpetual motion on a molecular/atomic level, then why not settle for a hydrogen atom with its electron that perpetually travels around the core?

If you have an electron that is accelerating, then you have an accelerating charge which will radiate energy, meaning the electron will loose energy and perpetual motion you will not have.

If you have an electron that is accelerating, then you have an accelerating charge which will radiate energy, meaning the electron will loose energy and perpetual motion you will not have.

hell the hell should i know lol im not a rocket scientist i just throw the idea out there. Fine how about this we get a Doralin and put in some plutonium. :eyebrow: