Gas and colors?????

peristar

Hello everyone....i have a really big problem so i was wondering if anyone here can help me...well...i need to find out if there is any gas that can change the color under outside influence( electromagnetic field, temperature, preasure or whatever)???? pls if anyone have clue or links let me know....thanks...

thanks for the information...but unfortunately i have new specification for the gas...it suppose to be colorless before the influnce...and if it is possible to be nontoxic...anyway every information like the one from UC is welcomed...

THANKS AGAIN...

• 1 month later...

Colored gases are pretty rare. Typically, when someone sees a colored gas, they are actually seeing a suspension of liquid/solid in a gas and not the gas itself. The only colored gases I know of are NO2, F2, Cl2, Br2, and I2. I honestly am not aware of any other gases that have any color at all.

Try NO, on contact with air it turns to NO2, there arnt any other things that I can think of in gas form that in gas form would change through energetic influence would change color other than NO2 and reduced temperatures to N2O4, hope that helps

Hi,

I believe radon changes colors depending on temperature. Are you just looking for an example of a gas that changes colors or does it have to be a gas you could use in a real-life setting?

Also, the atmospheric gases (nitrogen, oxygen) change color as they are ionized by exposure to an electromagnetic field (producing aurorae).

Are you talking about neon lights by any chance? Although a neon light will not "change" color, it goes from no-color to luminous (giving off light), and all it takes is a few thousand volts... seems like that's what you asked for?

Other gases can also do that.

Also, check out sodium lights. Those work different again. I believe they also change color as a function of temperature (starting off red, then yellow?). Not sure.