electricity

timetes

are you kidding ...... and your in the sciences.....you must be from the dark ages......

something is zapping me and it is a physical jolt and painful.

another thing.....there are lasers out there used for games....and weardo's out there using infred stuff....all given freely to law and fire officials....

so do not make me out to be a nut......

Timetes... your posts make it difficult to come to any other conclusion. You sound more paranoid than informed, especially since all you've shared in your 30-some posts on this topic is "I feel zapped" and no supporting/corroborating evidence... Just feelings like "they're out to get me, and the technology exists, so this is possible and simply MUST be happening." So... yeah... you may not be a nut, but that's how it sounds when reading your posts on this subject, and... to be perfectly frank... making personal attacks like that against insane_alien certainly don't help your already lacking credibility here.

So wrap yourself in tin foil. That should protect you from electromagnetic effects. If you also ground said foil suit, it should protect you from any electrical effects. This is fairly cheap to do and unless you are imagining the shocks should solve your problem whatever it is.

okay, here's an experiment you can do that is a little more refined than Mr Skeptics(but the principle is the same).

get youself some conductive bodypaint. paint youself with it. everywhere.

now, obviously you won't be going outside wearing this so just stay in the house doing whatever you do in your house. on of two things will happen.

1/ you stop getting shocked

2/ you continue getting shocked

if 1 then it is an external phenomenon (static)

if 2 then it is internal (nerve damage, trapped nerve, psychosomatic)

nobody is targeting you with any sort of directed energy weaponry for the following reasons:

its already being well tested with volunteers in the army.

its bloody expensive at the moment

they're doing a piss poor job of it. no point in just annoying an enemy slightly

why the hell are you so important?

Timetes... your posts make it difficult to come to any other conclusion. You sound more paranoid than informed, especially since all you've shared in your 30-some posts on this topic is "I feel zapped" and no supporting/corroborating evidence... Just feelings like "they're out to get me, and the technology exists, so this is possible and simply MUST be happening." So... yeah... you may not be a nut, but that's how it sounds when reading your posts on this subject, and... to be perfectly frank... making personal attacks like that against insane_alien certainly don't help your already lacking credibility here.

I know its difficult to understand.....my original post was moved....and i think closed. Second time.

something is zapping me and it is a physical jolt and painful.

Not necessarily.

I suffer from chronic pain, and so are being treated for it. Part of this treatment is learning about pain and how it works.

One of the first things you learn is that Pain and the Stimulus that causes it are two very different things.

In people who have had a limb amputated, they can feel pain in the limb that is missing. There is no limb there to feel pain, so it can not be from any stimulus. This shows that Pain is not necessarily caused by an actual external stimulus.

This experiment, called the "Rubber Hand Illusion" is part of what I am talking about:

If you do this, you can actually cause pain in the subject by doing something to the rubber hand (but not the real one) that would normally cause pain (like bending a finger back).

There is no way that doing something nasty to the rubber hand could cause any form of pain signal to the person. There is no way an external stimulus is causing the pain they feel.

This means that pain can not be the same as an noxious stimulus (injury).

There are also case where people have been very seriously hurt (even being shot with a bullet) and they experience no pain. This is further evidence that the two phenomena (injury and pain) are not the same thing.

So, just because you experience pain does not mean that there has to be some external cause for that pain.

Not only that, just because you are felling this pain does not mean that the cause you THINK is the source is REALLY the source of the pain.

Getting zapped by static charge built on you and being earthed to a nearby piece of metal (like door handles or metallic bead posts) completely explains all these "symptoms" you have described. You even said that you have a wool blanket, and wool is a good source of static electricity.

There is no reason to propose some sci fi government conspiracy to get at you (for no rational reason) as the explanation of this effect.

Apply Occam's razor: The simplest explanation that explains all the evidence is likely to be the correct one.

Static electricity is the simplest explanation that explains all the facts. Therefore it is most likely the correct one.

another thing.....there are lasers out there used for games....and weardo's out there using infred stuff....all given freely to law and fire officials....

so do not make me out to be a nut......there are gadgets out there without any regulation..

heres one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OVT6...eature=channel

this one......is upsetting to see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWEfM...eature=channel

There are regulation of such devices (ie if you are caught with them you can be fined and or jailed).

The "Lasers" you see for games like the "Laser Zone" games aren't really lasers at all, they are typically infra-red LEDs (like the ones found in the your typical TV remote) and not real lasers at all.

Actually, most digital cameras can see these kinds of infra-red light, so as an experiment use a digital camera and see if you can see the Infra-red lights form your TV remote. If you can, then use it to look at you when you feel the "Zap" (say record you as you go to sleep).

Ok, lets look at this form trying to eliminate things:

If there is no infra-red light visible, then you can rule out any infra-red laser zapping you.

As electricity needs to have a conductor, and air is a poor conductor (as well as glass and curtain material), then you can already rule out being zapped by a lightning gun (or some other directed electricity weapon).

Ok, so we can have eliminated "lasers" (drawing you blinds would be a way to stop any lasers as well, if they still had enough power to "zap" you with them, then they would also "Zap" the blinds and leave a tell-tale hole), and we can eliminate other forms of "attack" in the same way. This leaves only you as the source of the effect.

If you are the source, then it is a practical certainty that it would be either a psychosomatic effect, pinched nerve or static electricity.

A pinched Nerve can be eliminated by checking if it only occurs when you are in certain positions (say stretching out for a door handle). SO if you get this, then see a doctor about it.

Static Electricity can be checked by using something to act as a conductive point (car keys are good for this) as charge builds up on points, and so you can accumulate enough charge there yo see a visible arc as you touch something metallic with the convictive point.

This leaves psychosomatic/neurological. Some people, when going off to sleep can feel like they are "jolted" out of sleep. You might be convincing yourself that such occasional (or not so occasional) occurrences are due to some outside cause, even though it is not. If you have eliminated all else, and this is still going on, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor to see if you have any sleep problems.

There is no reason to propose some sci fi government conspiracy to get at you (for no rational reason) as the explanation of this effect.

Apply Occam's razor: The simplest explanation that explains all the evidence is likely to be the correct one.

Doesn't accurately fit your example. Occam's razor can also say, in a nutshell...

"When you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better"

In practice shaves off redundancy.

(thus doesn't affect theories with different predictions)

I vote static electricity...

Is this worse in the winter?

Great suggestions: Humidifier, antistatic laundry stuff.

Take a fluorescent bulb to bed in the dark. If you see flashes in it you have static electricity. Move your legs around in the blankets while holding one end.

That will answer the Inside/Outside your head question right off.

~minus

i read this from the interesting swanson blog....magnetic monopoles that it may interact the same as an electric charge.....could this cause static electricity? or static monopoles lol?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/09/090903163725.htm