Moon, Venus and Jupiter

Royston

Typical, this is just out of shot from my backgarden, but I managed to have a look through the window via my telescope, though this clearly muddies the view a bit. However, if it's a clear night where you are, have a look outside (towards the moon obviously)...

http://www.earthsky.org/radioshows/52786/moon-venus-jupiter-on-december-1

I once looked at Jupiter through our uni observatory - their telescope is massive and is housed in a rotating hut (No idea what the magnification was or anything - I was a guest of a member of the astromony society). It was really cool actually - you could see the red dot clearly, and I saw 6 of it's moons all lined perfectly to the right of it in a line.

It was really cool actually - you could see the red dot clearly, and I saw 6 of it's moons all lined perfectly to the right of it in a line.

It was particularly good conditions last night, and I managed to make out 4 of the moons (I presume the Galilean moons) possibly 5, all aligned to the left. Just with my humble Tal-1, which only has a 110 mm aperture. I could just about make out some colour, but no details...there are better times for viewing Jupiter, but still very cool.