Codiene dosage?

YT2095

I have Mega bad earache, bad enough that I`m even taking pain-killers (something I avoid like the plague).

I was wondering, I have Codeine tablets, 10mg each and 30mg each, I`m happy taking a single 10mg tablet but it only lasts about 2 hours before the pain starts up again.

the 30mg tablets say to take 2 of them every 4 hours (so that`s 60mg a pop!)

I was wondering since 60 every 4 hours is OK, would it be safe for me to take 10mg every 2 hours?

it`s a Third less than 30mg every 2 hours, but it`s more regular.

is it safe to do it that way, Lower dose but at shorter intervals?

I only want to take the bare minimum just to take the edge of the pain, so don`t even consider telling me to take a 30mg, I hate the effects.

My dentist reckons that the best pain killer for tooth ache is a cocktail of codiene and i-buprofen. I wonder if this would work for ear ache as well? I really rate i-buprofen as an analgesic - I used to be very sceptical about the effectiveness of painkillers (as a kid we were given disprin and paracetemal etc.. and they were rubbish) - but this new fangled i-buprofen is amazing!! no drowsiness and you can drink alcohol (and take codine). Best thing for back ache ever. Miracle!!

As long as the total dose in the day is not greater than the "official" dose then you can take fewer (or smaller) tablets, but at shorter intervals.

In fact this gives better control of pain because the levels of the drug in the blood don't fall so far. It's not often prescribed because people don't like taking pills that often.

is it safe to do it that way, Lower dose but at shorter intervals?

I frequently do exactly that and find the overall blood serum level to remain more constant than taking bigger doses at longer intervals. I would break the 30's in half and hunt for a 2 - 2&1/2 hour interval that suffices.

As long as the total dose in the day is not greater than the "official" dose then you can take fewer (or smaller) tablets, but at shorter intervals.

In fact this gives better control of pain because the levels of the drug in the blood don't fall so far. It's not often prescribed because people don't like taking pills that often.

This is exactly right and is the basis of effective clinical pain management. Taking larger doses less frequently, or waiting until the pain gets too bad before taking another dose can lead to a process called pain 'wind up' (it has to do with nitric oxide acting as a retrograde messenger in the nociceptive pathways, lcausing long-term potentiation in projection neurons).

Lower, more frequent doses prevents this from happening and results in better pain control.

Thanks each,

it`s nice to have my logic is confirmed as reassurance, and I also managed to get a bit of sleep last night as well because the pain wasn`t as bad.

the funny side is that my middle ear is also affected by this "bug" so badly that I might as well have taken the large dose for all the good it was trying to stay clear headed and balanced :doh:

I was forced to go today (my wife made an emergency appt), I`m already stone deaf in both ears as of thursday morning and the Pain on Friday night was unbearable (I don`t say that lightly), on Saturday it turns out that my left ear is now bleeding as well :(

anyway that dosage thing has been a moot point as I`v been eating the 30mg tabs like candy.

I`v been given yet Another 7 day course of amoxicillin (the stuff that didn`t work last time) and some 10mg codiene tabs :doh:

I`v seriously considered going into the city and buying a bottle of methadone off a junky when these 30mg`s run out, this pain is driving me insane!

and if something doesn`t get done about it the next time a quack sees me, I`ll need a script for anti-psychotics! :mad: