Rep Question

big314mp

Kindness and goodwill?

If you're giving positive reputation, what's the point in hiding it?

So I adjusted the templates to break up userinfo into two lines (people with really long locations (mooeypoo) kept making it linebreak) and moved the reputation button to an "add" link next to reputation. Hopefully it's a little easier to discover.

If I broke a template while doing so, tell me.

Has it been considered that negative rep might be a good idea? For posts that don't break any rules as such but include lots of factual inaccuracies or very poorly presented arguments.

I've been at fora where this caused many problems. Neg rep is not very helpful, as it hurts feelings and causes retaliation. It tends to exaggerate arguments, and make threads deteriorate in general.

I've found here at SFN that w/o a neg rep option, any rebuttals or negative comments are shared openly, which inherently adds to the effect of teaching the poster how to be better since it's transparent and involves the whole community.

In short, my own stance (not that it matters much) is that neg rep does more harm than good, and that negative comments should be shared openly and with the purpose of correction, not punishing.

Btw, Cap'n - Nice work. Clean and simple. Any chance of restoring the scale icon, though? I always quite like that. :eyebrow:

• 5 months later...