what is dark matter ?

AtomSplitter

The way our galaxies move in the universe implies that there should be more mass than we can see. We do calculations based on all of the mass we expect (based on what we can see), and it doesn't account for the way things move and interact.

So, the idea is that there must be some kind of mass out there which we just cannot see. We're still looking for it.

Now, if we later determine that there is no such thing as dark matter, then we will need to find out why our models work so well with nearly everything else, but don't account for the mass we expect based on observations. The tricky part is that the models DO work really well with everything else, so it seems very likely there is something out there we just can't yet see.

we have found dark matter, we can even map out its distribution. we just have no idea of what it actually is.

because it doesn't interact with anything other than gravity (and maybe the weak force) it is very very hard to observe, especially on a lab scale. this is primarily why we don't know what it is.

we call it dark because it doesn't interact with light. its just a label until we can analyse it better.

sorry, my brain was working faster then my fingers :( could dark matter interact with something we havent discovered yet? and i just wondered if light had an opposite (Other than darkness which is merely the absence of light) i didn't really have anything to do with it , sorry :(

we have found dark matter, we can even map out its distribution. we just have no idea of what it actually is.QUOTE]

So having found it does it look like there are any practical applications for dark matter? i.e a way to explain otherwise un explained events?

well there are other particles that have mass,

neutrons need not be part of an atom and they have mass, same with electrons and protons. quarks, gluons W and Z bosons neutrinos these all have mass and are not made of atoms. and i'm sure there are more. but i'm not too clued up on subatomic particles, i'm a chemistry man myself so i deal with atoms and stuff. and i can tell you right now that dark matter is not made of them.