What would happen if McCain changed running mates one week before election?

iNow

So, three weeks left. What if McCain changed running mates one week before the election? Think it would cause enough of a bounce to get more votes from those who liked McCain before Palin came along and gain him more electoral votes?

Any thoughts, ideas, opinions are welcomed.

At this point, I honestly don't think that his base is large enough to matter. Based on all of the recent stories out of the conservative camp how they can't stand his anti-intellectual approach and his nutter pick of Palin, I'd bet that he'd pick up more votes by dropping her than he'd lose from those who saw the move as a sign of weakness.

then for the 1`st time in about 2 years (it certainly feels like it) the rest of the world might be in the slightest bit interested in american politics.

I know I (and a few others) will be glad to see the back of it all!

I don't know what stories you're talking about iNow, Palin is the only reason McCain is still in it. The base loves her. Rush had her on yesterday, I missed all but that last bit, and he's crazy about her, and of course the conservative base loves Rush so...

I'll concede I haven't paid much attention to polls or whatnot, and haven't even really been following the political news that much lately, so maybe I've missed something.

Not only do they think highly of her, I've never seen such an extreme disconnect between the right-side base and news reporting. Last week Palin declared how happy she was that the investigation had cleared her name. It did nothing of the kind, of course, but that's exactly how it played out on the right. Mind you, partisan spin is par for the course, but this was something different -- a deliberate turning-away from reported news, assuming the opposite to be true.

"CNN reported today that the sky was blue. Senate Republicans immediately announced their gratitude to CNN and proceeded to lead a prayer of thanks for our new red sky."

I'm concerned that we've entered a new stage of partisanship in which "fact checking" no longer matters.

McCain can't switch candidates in the last week. He would look like a moron, and even the people who hate Palin would not vote for him because one week is not enough to learn about a new VP. Plus, everyone will be annoyed because of all the time they wasted learning and talking about Palin only for that to become irrelevant.

He would look like a moron, and even the people who hate Palin would not vote for him because one week is not enough to learn about a new VP. Plus, everyone will be annoyed because of all the time they wasted learning and talking about Palin

as I said, Then all this drawn out Hype might become marginally interesting to the rest of the world.

McCain can't switch candidates in the last week. He would look like a moron, and even the people who hate Palin would not vote for him because one week is not enough to learn about a new VP. Plus, everyone will be annoyed because of all the time they wasted learning and talking about Palin only for that to become irrelevant.

Not necessarily. He could pick someone already well known and vetted. Think Liebermann or the like (although, the base would nail him to a cross if he did that, you get my point that it could work if the choice was well known and visible already).

as I said, Then all this drawn out Hype might become marginally interesting to the rest of the world.

Unless he picks Osama Bin Laden or something I'm still not interested.

My guess is that he might pick a politician with views similar to his own. So what?