Fade to grey

alan2here

An extract from a book I am occasionally working on. It will prob never be finished as I will never have enough material to fill it :¬P

The more you do something the less meaningful it becomes. It fades, no longer so enjoyable, no longer vivid. You need something more, that something becomes the new upper limit of your experience and the old thing becomes mundane. The further back you look the harder it is to judge how intense others will find things. While you are uninterested with your old tired experiences you are still afraid to push too hard into new ones. You are though driven by necessity to go a little further. You then enjoy that new intensity of experience for a while and all is well. Eventually it will fade again and you need to go father to get to the same place. Eventually it will be impossible to travel further and everything will be but a grey uniform and endless fog.

What happens is thought can create feelings and feelings can induce thoughts. This can form a nice loop that can resonate a nice feeling. In the beginning of a new study or fresh idea, one can often generate the brain chemicals that give that discovery buzz. The buzz, then opens the door to want to extrapolate the thought to reinforce the buzz. If one is a critical thinker, which you appear to be, you begin to change the type of chemicals the buzz thoughts can create. This will weaken the buzz.

In terms of an example, say you just got a promotion. You are full of euphoric buzz due to endorphins. While you are on cloud nine someone tells you, your favorite uncle died. The normal reaction is to be sad. But if you multitask, emotionally, to feel both at the same time, you have buzz plus sadness, which makes the buzz lower and the sadness lower. With learning and creativity you can multitask emotional with the discovery buzz and the calmness of objectivity to get a reduced buzz.

The buzz is the same as romance. Sometimes you need to change the routine or try new positions. It sounds funny but the brain tends to recycle natural buzzes, for other purposes, and the base romance analogy tell you how to get the romance back. You may have to dress the idea in a new costume, such as a new angle you never saw before. Or maybe it is time for a divorce so you can date a new idea. She is all shiny and fresh with new possibilities. This may bring the romance back. Or the time away allows you to see old things with fresh eyes, so the romance returns.

IMO, boredom, feelings that things are mundane and apathy are all driving forces that ultimately drive us onwards to new success, or new failure. The point being that out of 6 billion homosapiens there will be a percentage that will ultimately succeed for a while. This seems to be enough to ensure the ongoing dominant future survival of the h-sapien species; of course, environmental conditions still need to be favorable to them. So basically, we are all lumped with varying degrees of the same driving forces.

most of it sounds fairly reasonable up until this point:

Eventually it will be impossible to travel further and everything will be but a grey uniform and endless fog.

I don`t believe this is the case at all, not even if you lived several lifetimes, there will Always be new things to learn, try and discover.

I don`t believe this is the case at all, not even if you lived several lifetimes, there will Always be new things to learn, try and discover.

That’s assuming that the mind is still like a 'bolt of lightening' all of your life. Realistically, everything eventually succumbs to dissipation. And then ultimately reuse for other things in nature. Well, at least everything alive. But I agree that whilst the mind is “good” there are infinite things to learn and discover.

Ideas and knowledge evolve in stages sort of like courting and romance. The first is the infatuation stage of discovery. It is always on your mind. Then you start the dating process to learn more and to see if this is compatible with your hopes and expectation. But you can only date an idea for so long before it is more work than fun, unless there is a reward for your effort. It is easier for a male to date a woman and maintain a high level of enthusiasm if sex is part of the package. Or unless she is a nice woman, who is being encouraging for the future. The environment needs to give something back instead of just bitching. The bitching is easier to take if you are also getting some sack time or at least the promise of future sack time.

Even if you have a good idea, unless there is a practical response from the environment to keep you going you can run out of steam. This doesn't always mean you didn't do your job, the environment may have been a bitch or is only coin operated. Coin operated is a term to describe spreading the wallet to anyone for value up front. Sort of like a prostitute but legal.

Like dating, the good guys often finish last. You need bad boy skills, such as a good line of bull to get the environment to spread open its wallet so you can get some sack time. It should not be that way, but most of the environment has preconceived expectations and the most successful men tell them what they wish to hear. They want to hear their hair is perfect not the back part of the hair is tangled, even if true. Often new ideas work to solve a problem, such as how to untangle the hair in the back, but the implication of this idea, is the hair is not perfect. This is a no-no if you want to score. She will be insulted and start to bitch at you. The odds of scoring go down and you run out of steam. There should be a course on proper brown nosing to teach manipulation skills so you can get the environment to spread its wallet. Then gray gets to turn back into technicolor, again.

Thank you. Some interesting and well thought out replies.

The things which I was thinking about were mostly progression though musical genre from most popular to most personally appealing and progression into extreme sports. Other influencing factors a living in a city from living in the countryside and being at university from being in a far less interesting college course. No romance, lust or love.

Also the pattern of lust in a relationship is high at first and then falls over time. However, another partner of the same level of attraction than your existing partner (or your partner pretending to be another person) can re-light the spark. Fortunately most people would not then need to seek out a more attractive partner to get the same effect. If you did then lust would follow the same pattern as my first post.

As for the discovery buzz though ether intellectual discovery or physically finding something new I know it well. Fortunately if this does fade over time it is not nearly so quickly. A small discovery will usually gives me the same level of buzz as it always has.

What happens is thought can create feelings and feelings can induce thoughts. This can form a nice loop that can resonate a nice feeling. In the beginning of a new study or fresh idea, one can often generate the brain chemicals that give that discovery buzz. The buzz, then opens the door to want to extrapolate the thought to reinforce the buzz. If one is a critical thinker, which you appear to be, you begin to change the type of chemicals the buzz thoughts can create. This will weaken the buzz.
Yes, this seems familiar. Sometimes at first just thinking about the brainwave you just had feels good. Seems like a good natural mechanism for remembering good ideas you came up with as well. Edited by alan2here

I disagree, this may well hold for some people but I know many people, me included who actually are quite happy with some things not progressing the sense you describe at least.

On another level I agree, it's the pull of time and the volatile memory we have that pushes us to get "bored" in a sense, but I don't think things fade to gray as often as you say.