Clinton, Palin hold joint press conference

Sisyphus

I'm afraid her impressions of Palin haven't been all that well written, though, relying on angry Palin-bashing rather than seeking real comedy.

You act as if "real comedy" is some objective item. I wish to remind you, the very essence of comedy is its subjectivity.

Also, SNL is not generally known for it's academic subtlety or slight hints. They do caricatures of politicians, and have for decades. With all due respect, I find your comments off base and myopic, especially since there was no bashing involved, just powerful immitations.

I advise you watch the Couric/Palin interview again if you truly think that Fey was not doing an admirable job at representing the essence of Palin during the skit.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You act as if "real comedy" is some objective item. I wish to remind you, the very essence of comedy is its subjectivity.

Also, SNL is not generally known for it's academic subtlety or slight hints. They do caricatures of politicians, and have for decades.

Hey now, don't mistake my criticism of SNL for a distaste for Palin-related humor. I've seen some VERY funny Sarah Palin jokes, even passed a couple of them along here in this forum. I do think SNL is on a bit of a vendetta, but that doesn't automatically make for bad comedy. It just isn't a substitute for comedy.

But isn't whether or not something is funny one of those things that's in the eye of the beholder, as they say? I was just offering my opinion, not trying to suggest some objective standard. If you thought it was funny, more power to you.

I advise you watch the Couric/Palin interview again if you truly think that Fey was not doing an admirable job at representing the essence of Palin during the skit.

Accuracy and humor are two different things.

With all due respect, I find your comments off base and myopic, especially since there was no bashing involved, just powerful immitations.

I don't hear a whole lot of respect in that statement, and I think it was bashing on Fey's part -- that was the entire point. And if I were to interpret your opinion as you've just done mine, I could suggest that your laughter is forced. I could say that perhaps your enjoyment of it stems from the idea of other people getting their eyes opened to what you feel is the truth. I could point out that you felt the need to interpret my opinion on this -- and suggest that this is more important to you than a simple matter of humor.

That is, I could say all that, if I were prone to interpreting other people's opinions about simple comedy sketches. :D

Incidentally, I can probably count on one hand the number of episodes I've missed in SNL's entire 32-year run. As opposed to political partisans suddenly tuning in just because of a political impression of the moment that they happens to agree with ("Oh my god she nailed Palin, that show roxors!"). Fair weather viewers and political partisans aren't qualified to judge the show. I am. Perhaps you are as well, I don't know.

Edited by Pangloss

I don't think I would call it a vendetta. They try to make all politicians look ridiculous. Sarah Palin just happens to be unusually ridiculous on her own. Hence the Couric interview sketch, where Tina Fey just repeated what Palin said verbatim, and only Couric's reactions were exaggerated. There have been funnier sketches, obviously, but I do think it is pretty hilarious that they could do that and have it be passable.

Hence the Couric interview sketch, where Tina Fey just repeated what Palin said verbatim, and only Couric's reactions were exaggerated.

And I think THAT's where it was brilliant. Truly little to no writing involved. Just repetition of Palins own words, but still quite funny.