Yike! Ike!

D H

In another thread I wrote

While Fay and Edouard seemed to vex the forecasters this year, the predictions on Gustav have been very consistent. Fortunately, the lower quality forecasts appear to me to be correlated with weaker storms.

Dang. Not this time. The forecast for Ike hasn't been all that great. The projected landfall area has been moving northward all week, starting from south of Corpus Christi. It now looks like Ike will hit Houston 45 hours from now. The areas under mandatory evacuation yesterday might well be in the clear while the area likely to suffer has barely begun evacuating. The evacuations for Galveston County (where I live) as of Sept. 10 were voluntary and were limited to a few very flood prone areas. There were no evacuation notices for Harris County, period. Mandatory notices will come out this morning, but there won't be enough time to evacuate 1 million+ people in front of a Cat 3 / Cat 4 hurricane. This is not good, not good at all.

I got most of the wood up yesterday; I have another hour or so to finish. I hope it wasn't all in vain. Wish me luck.

indeed, I had a lot of people calling into my work today (a lot means a whole freakin' lot) who just received/were expecting to receive evacuation warnings and needed to get their businesses backed up in like an hour! That's insanity,

the very best to you and everyone else affected friend

We survived. Lost power around 6 PM last Friday and only regained power around 5 PM today. I can not only sleep through a hurricane, I can sleep through a tornado! However, the dead calm of the eye is another story. I woke up around 4 AM Saturday when the eye went over and went back to bed after seeing the southern eye wall start to hit. That side of the storm was particularly nasty, spinning off a lot of mini-tornados as a side benefit. One of them hit our neighborhood. The resulting mess took days to clean up. No loss of human life, but many trees were not so lucky.