Fact-Checking Obama's Acceptance Speech

Pangloss

I, too, would like to know which comments were "BS distortions worthy of stoners at the smoke hole." That's a pretty sweaping criticism, and ParanoiA is more than capable to answer and more often than not quite articulate when doing so.

I, too, would like to know which comments were "BS distortions worthy of stoners at the smoke hole." That's a pretty sweaping criticism, and ParanoiA is more than capable to answer and more often than not quite articulate when doing so.

Well thank you so much there iNow.

I didn't mean Obama's statements directly, although I believe his fits the distortion category, which is good enough in my opinion. I was responding to "any speech of this nature" and my personal qualifiers are simply no bs. I understand muddling up facts on accident, but this was a carefully crafted speech that contains distortions - at the very least, and I don't think that's worthy of an honest stateman.

But hey, they all do it nowadays so I'm not suggesting he's the only one guilty of it, I'm just calling it how I see it, I'm sure McCain will bend the truth and rack up a list of his own. I'm actually more interested in Palin and seeing if she ends up turning evil.

I'm actually more interested in Palin and seeing if she ends up turning evil.

But then McCain would have to "destroy her" and his own campaign would fall into political armageddon. ;) Thanks for the response. When taken in light of "expecting honesty from statesmen" in general, I agree, and I also agree that much of what was/is done was/is intentional crafting for maximum marketing benefit.

I just wasn't seeing any of those particulars listed in the OP as the crucifixion deserving comments some have been implying they are.

Is it just me or does it seem like there's a double standard when it comes to media criticism of Obama and McCain

There certainly is. Obama gets a lot more attention than McCain (perhaps because both campaigns seem to be mostly about Obama?), but he also gets a much greater percentage of negative attention. Frankly, I think McCain has the advantage. When he screws up, you generally don't even hear about it.

So can we finally drop all this "liberal media" B.S.? It's almost become conventional wisdom from sheer repetition, and the mainstream media itself seems to be overcompensating.

So can we finally drop all this "liberal media" B.S.? It's almost become conventional wisdom from sheer repetition, and the mainstream media itself seems to be overcompensating.

MSNBC doesn't help matters in this regard. It's like they have a mission to personally compensate for FOX. Of course with the media segmented as it is today, I think they feel the need to feed their segment the red meat.

MSNBC doesn't help matters in this regard. It's like they have a mission to personally compensate for FOX. Of course with the media segmented as it is today, I think they feel the need to feed their segment the red meat.

Yeah, weren't they the ones that ran some kind of banner under the announcement of Palin as the VP pick, to the effect of "How many houses does this make for McCain and Palin total?" - or something like that?

The funny part was watching O'reilly get "tough" like he always does, pounding on his laminated particle board desk about how Brian Williams and Brokaw are "part of the problem", yelling and pointing his finger at the camera trying to get Brit Hume to agree with him. I love it. Ego doesn't meet ignorance like that but once in a lifetime...

So who's gonna fact check Palin's speech from last night and McCain's from tonight?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Conventions/story?id=5726571&page=1

Speaking last night at the RNC in St. Paul, vice-presidential pick Gov. Sarah Palin stretched the truth when it came to Barrack Obama and her support of earmarks.

(See
for her comments followed by the actual facts)

abc_fact_check_palin_080904_mn.jpg