A problem of chemistry and physics.........

albertlee

I am confused about is the study of atoms and particles under physics or chemistry..........?

In my science dictionary, it is the physics section which tells about the structure of atoms........

but in my school, it is chemistry subject which teaches about atoms and particles............

Can any body explain this how and why?

More over, please tell me the true definition of physics and chemistry for better understanding......

Apreciate for the responds.......

well, it is really both, and not really easy to divide.

Chemistry studies atoms becuase they are what chemistry about. Without atoms, chemistry wouldn't exist.

Physics studies atoms, but only their nucleus, it does not really study the electrons. It studies them because they decay, emitting radiation, which is studied in Physics

Because they both cover different angles, the chemistry angle, how the matter invloves chemistry and the physics is the mechanics part, well im sure thats kind of close, but if you listen to the physics "guru" he'll say that all is a sub-set of physics hmmmmm :)

Becuase theyre entirely relevant to everything in physics and chemistry.

Physics deals with just about everything, chemistry specifically looks at electron behaviou much more closely. Particle is a very broad term.

Chemistry --- The science of the composition, structure, properties, and reactions of matter, especially of atomic and molecular systems.

Physics ------ The science of matter and energy and of interactions between the two, grouped in traditional fields such as acoustics, optics, mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, as well as in modern extensions including atomic and nuclear physics, cryogenics, solid-state physics, particle physics, and plasma physics.

From the Dictionary online.

Also keep in mind that the division between chemistry and physics was originally defined a long time ago. With more recent discoveries, there is overlap where there didn't used to be. Chemistry used to be about what happened when you mixed a bunch of chemicals together. Now e.g. with QM, the theory describes molecular bonds, so both physicists and chemists are going to study it. Just like you have biochemistry and biophysics, there's physical chemistry and nuclear chemistry and chemical physics.

Ok, thx every one for the replies, now I can get some senses.......:)

but therefore, I want to know what is the relationship of physics and chemistry? or in another saying, how do they cooperate each other? since both study same thing but for different purposes...............

Secondly, I would like to know the difference of chemical physics and physical chemistry..............

Apreciate for furthur help

everyday Chemistry doesnt really study the structure of atoms anymore, thats what physicsts do.

Chemists study whole compounds etc.

Physical chemistry studys reaction kinetics etc.

Chemical physics is like superconductors etc. if that helps

I`ll try!

Physics deals with quantification of Physical properties and interactions in all their aspects.

Chemistry on the other hand deals largely with Chemical properties of the materials that Physics people measure in terms of mass and potential etc...

a chemist will look not so much at this, but how the basic elemental atoms interact, and concentrate upon measurements that specificaly involve these (moles for example).

yeah OK, I`m probably not doing a very good job of this, but it`s a hard question beleive it or not!

there really isn`t a tremendous amount of difference between the 2 disciplines, and that`s partly what makes this so difficult. but if you consider the scientific spectrum as all being physics based, then a chemist will look in GREAT DEPTH at the part that deals with atoms and molecules. it greives me to admit that though *spit* :))

I like what MrL said:

Chemistry deals with the interactions between electron shells.

Physics deals with EVERYTHING.

Obviously' date=' chemistry is a subset of physics.[/quote']

Science consists of either Physics, or stamp collecting.

I dont, it can be said that physics is a subset of chemistry, but offcourse that depends on whether you a physict or chemist ;)

I refer you to the words of Ernest Rutherford, winner of the 1908 Nobel Prize in chemistry: "All science is either physics or stamp collecting."

Subset of chemistry. Bah! :)