Creative cooling methods

Guest Syntax

As people struggle day to day to keep their computers cool, there is always someone coming up with a very creative way to bring the temperature of your processor, and the inner case down to an acceptable temperature. Let's discuss some of them ways, and argue about this for awhile.

One way to cool it down, is to make a cheap vent that goes from your air conditioner to your case. But dont run the air conditioner into the case until after it's been turned on, which can cause the case to be overcooled, and when it gets turned on, it could be under danger of being cracked. There are pros and cons of this method. Pro: This can keep that case real cool. Con: Only works in summer, and is as useless as it can be in the winter. It may sound stupid, but if your computer is close to your air conditioner, in the summer rig something to the air conditioner and you'll love the temperature.

Another cool one (which I can't really explain due to my lazyness) is this one. check it out

http://crazy.codetroop.com/randimg/?kylning.jpg

I guess you can sort of simulate this with a box fan turned on low 24x7, but that is inefficient on energy.

Dell been very good to me. I'll check next time just to see what variety they used but my PC cranks 24/7 with no problems.

Thanks for the info.

We used to attach finned heat sinks with a special heat conductive goo back when I worked with prototypes.

How about running a coolant through the sockets holding the surface mount chips? Maybe build the coolant channels through one of the boards layers? That way you could operate a laptop with a little can fo freeze spray attached in the hottest deserts.

Just aman

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by fafalone

Better cooling systems need to become cheaper. This 100 dB fan just isn't working out. I hate shutting my computer down so I can sleep.

Get a fan with fluid bearings. They are cheaper than the alternatives and very quiet.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Edwards
Originally posted by the GardenGnome

Forget your expensive fans and heatsink crap. Just live in a refrigerator man. I bet you could overclock your computer like crazy.:bs:

nah man, just put your PC outside (during the canadian winter).

Guest Edwards
Originally posted by fafalone

Yeah but in Miami its hotter outside at night than a overclocked P4 without a cooling fan or heat sink.

Well, if you want to do some serious overclocking, you've gotta make some sacrifices. Honestly, if you had the choice of having enough fans to keep you awake at night, versus moving to canada, what would you choose? (don't answer that)

personnally, I'm fine with my Antec case, with the 2 Antec fans and Vantec Stealth PSU

• 3 weeks later...

hehe..I can't remember where it was, but this one guy was always hearing about people water cooling their systems and so he filled his tower with water from a hose and tried that...

not really funny, just something I suddenly thought of;)

Originally posted by Edwards

Well, if you want to do some serious overclocking, you've gotta make some sacrifices. Honestly, if you had the choice of having enough fans to keep you awake at night, versus moving to canada, what would you choose? (don't answer that)

personnally, I'm fine with my Antec case, with the 2 Antec fans and Vantec Stealth PSU

Canada can be very warm in the summer. Unless you plan to hibernate in the summer or have a shack that you live in on some iceberg in the Artic ocean.

• 10 months later...

Creative Cooling, well here`s 2 ways I can think of (the mechanics are up to you!)

you can buy small ridged that work off 12volts, it`s a typical heat exchange mechanism and they don`t cost much brand new (29 quid from Argos in the UK) it`ll keep a 4 pack of beer and 3 mini pizzas cold from a car cigarette lighter socket.

take one appart and employ that.

also, some of the old Amstrad amplifiers use an active liquid cooling system (a bit along the same principal as the old gas flame powered fridges).

it works on a heat offset principal, the heat creates movement in the liquid coolant that passes the heatsink fins and returns cold again :)

just a thought :)