Physicsworld

Royston

I was reading an article on quantum entanglement on the physicsworld site, and to my horror Zephir is running a mock in the comments section....touting his aether idea. This is not the only article he's been posting under.

Of all places, a website run by the iop, is being subject to crackpottery. If anyone is a member, this is a heads up to contact the editor...this guy must be STOPPED !!!!

Edited by Snail

Yes, I have seen the name in comment sections like this before. Also, I have seen other names similar or identical to people using this forum.

I am not sure what can really be done. If people are going to allow open posting or comments then this sort of thing will continue to happen. However, as most people reading the IOP websites have a real knowledge of physics I am sure they won't get distracted by such nonsense.

But the article starts with

"If two particles are “entangled”, so quantum mechanics says, any tinkering with one can cause an instantaneous change in the other, no matter how separated they are."

Ugh.

No "change" occurs. Once you've made the measurement, the particle is in a particular state. Tinkering with it won't do anything to the other particle, since the entanglement will have been lost.

But the article starts with

"If two particles are “entangled”, so quantum mechanics says, any tinkering with one can cause an instantaneous change in the other, no matter how separated they are."

Ugh.

The article ran counter to what I'd been learning on the subject, and I was meaning to start a thread on the topic, but as ajb put it, I was 'distracted by the nonsense.' :D