Fields of Biology

techy19

Hi I normally study in chemistry, but can't do much with because I'm only fifteen. I thought I would give biology a try because I think there are more areas I can go into without my parents freaking out about me blowing myself up. So could someone explain to me different fields of biology I would be able to go into in the future? Also I would like to know what I would be able to take with it in college. I'm interested in biomechanical engineering if you could give some examples of work people do in this field that would be great thanks for all replies.:)

there's a whole bunch but I guess you can start with this:

Biochemistry, Bioinformatics (Computation bio), Agriculture, Anatomy, Biophysics, Biotechnology, Cell Biology, Developmental biology, Behavioral Biology, Ecology, Epidemiology, Genetics, Entomology, Herpetology, Ichthyology, Mammology, Mycology, Microbiology, Marine Biology, Ornithology, Physiology, Pharmacology, Medicine, Zoology, Virology, Molecular Biology, Paleontology, Histology, Evolutionary Biology...

There's plenty of overlap, in addition to things that aren't covered here. Good luck!

Paleontology is an interesting inclusion. It's more generally considered a branch of geology, and you need a lot of geology to make sense of it, but if you're interesting in ecology, evolution, or any kind of zoology you might just take to paleontology too.

You forgot botany too, ecoli. :P

Paleontology is an interesting inclusion. It's more generally considered a branch of geology, and you need a lot of geology to make sense of it, but if you're interesting in ecology, evolution, or any kind of zoology you might just take to paleontology too.

You would also need to know anatomy to make sense of the bones.

You forgot botany too, ecoli. :P

I never claimed it was a complete list!

But, yes I suppose that is a particular large area of research, especially plant diseases and genetics.

You would also need to know anatomy to make sense of the bones.

Right, right, though not all paleontology deals with bones. It's an integrative field, certainly.

I never claimed it was a complete list!

I know, you just seemed so exhaustive including all the different mutations of zoology and even mycology it struck me amusedly that you forgot botany.

How about genomics and postgenomics (e.g. proteomics, metabolomics or any other omics that might eventually pop up). Biophysics is normally in the firm hand of physicists. Well not in our case cause we barged in and demanded to be heard but still....