High temperature experiment

DrP

This is a problem I have at work. (not sure if this is posted in the right place- especially as it the amateur science thread but here goes).

I have a glassy like substance which starts to sag and run at about 850 to 950C. Up until then it holds its shape pretty well. I have tried several additives to up its melting/sagging point. All work fine in my in house home built furnace which gets up to about 900C. When I send my samples off for larger scale tests the temps get up to over 1000C. I have tried and failed (well I have upped it, but not enough) in the past to mix additives which will up the sag point of this substance. We have some new ideas and want to test them out. Theory says these 'new' mixes will go above 1000C (1200C would be nice).

The problem is my in house kit doesn't get hot enough and I can't really afford to send samples off for expensive full scale testing until I'm sure what I have done has had an effect on the sag Temp. So:

Does anyone know of any kind of calorimetry (like DSC ot TGA) which will take temps up to 1250C or higher? I really need to buy, hire or have someone run some tests for us before continuing our work. Maybe a I need to build or buy a better furnace?

Thanks,

P.

UPDATED through further searching:

I don't suppose anyone has access to High Temperature DSC equipment do they? I caould send you a couple of samples through the post to put through.

The new HTDSC's apparently get up to 2000C.

Edited by DrP
multiple post merged

Can you tell us anything about the material's chemical composition? It sounds like a glass of sorts. Generally you'd increase the melting point of a glass by adding SiO2, Al2O3 and especially MgO.

If you google lab furnaces, pyrometers, etc. you can find these. You might try "used furnaces". These are designed for precise temperature profiles, for crystal growing. These are expensive but very accurate.

If all use need is a rough temperature, you may research how to make a simple ceramic pottery oven. It is a gas heater and fire bricks. Then get a pyrometer that is good to 1700C so it is resistant to fumes. You may even time your run with a local ceramic class when they fire up.

Thank you. I've found a university with HT-DSC/TGA. They will run samples alot cheaper than the industry quotes I got in. The pottery furnace is a good idea pioneer -thanks. I have added Al2O3.Si2O3 already. I will try MgO as well now - Thanks H4tt3n.

I would like to own one of these HT DSC kits really - However the quotes I got were in the region of £40K...:eek: Maybe not then! lol.