Wind on the moon

Guest OBCT

I was recently talking with a friend about people who believe that the first landing on the moon was a hoax. Even though I think that theory is all crap, a good point was brought up.

Aparently in the tape of Neil Armstrong holding the flag on the moon, the flag was flapping as if there was wind. As far as my knowledge goes........theres no wind on the moon.

So how could this have happend?

Was the flag actually flapping in the tape? (I'm too young to have seen it)

Could it be a hoax?

You surely can't expect a flag that is being held on ONE side (by the pole) to be completely plaque-like in its posture.. they hanged it on the pole and dropped it. The flag wasn't flapping, it was just standing there a bit wrinkled. Also, take into acount that there *is* gravity on the moon.

The edges of the flag could have naturally bent down.

Those claims usually are being said about the PICTURES not the tape. In the tape you see clearly that the flag is not flapping. The pictures - since the flag is not completely ironed and entirely straight - it *looks* like its flapping.

But if you got into that one, heck, there's no end. How 'bout those claims about the changing shadows of the astronauts? there are so many claims about this.. and most of them are solved quite easily if you REALLY look at those tapes and pictures, and not trust someone else who shows you. Most of the pictures that are being used to "prove" this conspiracy are leading and bad-angled ones. Look at 'em all, you see it's true.

In any case, I never really understood the point of this conspiracy. It's a known fact we can reach space, we've done it quite a lot after that time. Why would anyone want to claim otherwise so fiercely with such conspiracy theories, is beyond me.

In any case, that's what I have to say about the theory :)

Good question though, it bothered me too 'till I just went to the library and looked at the entire movie. You find all the answers (well most of 'em) like that ;)

~moo

I'm sure that I've got a film of the flag flapping here somewhere, not a photo. Anyhow, I don't know why you put so much trust into the USA, they had a lot of good reasons to lie about this. It is neither scientific to believe, or disbelieve the space landings. Well having read some of the explenations for the flag, it makes sense that they could flap due to pendulum movement.

Pincho.

I don't trust completely in the USA I'm just saying this specific "hoax" story sounds fabricated to the last letter of it.

'sides, I seriously don't find a reason to doubt this one so hard.. even if it *was* a hoax, the CURRENT space shuttles aren't. It's not like this hoax affects the entire space program everywhere. I have better things to doubt ;)

~moo

It is rather absurd to disbelieve, though.

Well, the moon landings happened yes. However it's plausible that some of the photography was faked, in case of some failure in the negatives on the moon or complete loss of the mission. There had to be definite proof of the landing and it’s been suggested that NASA prearranged some of the photography as a safety measure, leading to all the conspiracy theories.

Honestly, if you had just spent billions of taxpayer’s dollars you’d make sure you had something to show for it!