North American Union

CarolAlynn

Does anyone else see the signs of a north american union that is going to form, or am i just crazy?:doh:

I see them. What's bad about it?

What sort of signs do you see?

What? You don't see them? You must look veeerry carefully...

Whats bad about it is that the United States thinks that Canada would want to join them no matter what and most of us Dont really want that. The amero would be our currency and knowing the united states it would just be their currency renamed, which sucks because the canadian dollar is worth so much more right now. Not to mention If the U.S takes control of the Canadian and Mexican armies they have that many more people at their disposal to send to their death for pure profit.(sorry about the long sentences this topic gets to me)

NATO is a mutual defense treaty, not a governmental organization. It limits itself to military roles.

I know, but the point I was making to her was that it really isn't a bad thing. Besides which the military alliances does allow for benefits in other areas (e.g. less overall spending on military force among allies, etc.)

Whats bad about it is that the United States thinks that Canada would want to join them no matter what and most of us Dont really want that. The amero would be our currency and knowing the united states it would just be their currency renamed, which sucks because the canadian dollar is worth so much more right now. Not to mention If the U.S takes control of the Canadian and Mexican armies they have that many more people at their disposal to send to their death for pure profit.(sorry about the long sentences this topic gets to me)

The currency will be an amalgam of all the different currencies in the union. in the EU many countries had the moneteray value increased considerably with only very few having it drop, and then only slightly. also, countries had to meet certain economic conditions so that the impact would be minimised.

and it will not be an expansion of the US as you seem to think. here in the EU all the countries keep control of their respective armies. i suspect the same would happen there. Canada and the US already cooperate in troop movements, both with NATO and the UN.

you also won't lose your national identity, as someone who frequently visits the european mainland for holidays both pre EU and post EU i can tell you that france is still france, spain still spain, italy still italy and so on. the most noticable difference is that there are no longer border checks and i don't have to convert my money for some extortionate service charge.

Free trade agreements and military alliances is one thing, but come on, "taking over" Canada and Mexico? Why would we even want to do that? "Sending the Mexican army to their deaths?" Seriously?

And even if an EU-style agreement comes to pass (it won't anytime in the near future, but for the sake of argument, sure) you make it sound like that means one country "conquers" the others. Which country rules the EU, might I ask? Why are there countries petitioning to join, that the EU doesn't even want?

I wonder if the "United States" was a conspiracy theory first...

Tha's ok, this topic gets to me too. I'll bet you haven't been enlightened to the particulars of this campaign though. This is the first part of a one part plan sitting on GWB's desk:

Certain members of congress (Builderburg members) are currently drafting legislation to compell mexican illegal immigrants to military service along the border. Once the force is large enough, the government (republicans) is to manufacture a reason for conflict to justify an invasion and occupation using those mexican forces.

Keep your eyes peeled Carol. It's going to get nasty. And no one is going to believe us.

Well, if you think that you are CRAZY, I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.
Nice sentence. Not aimed at any particular opinion, but nicely sums up the membership of at least one Canadian extremist group. We knew they had to exist, ay?

I wonder if the "United States" was a conspiracy theory first...
"They got some woman sewing stars on a flag, they're dyeing their coats blue and you don't even want to know what they're planning on doing to your tea, man! That GW guy is behind it all!"

Keep your eyes peeled Carol. It's going to get nasty. And no one is going to believe us.
You are an evil, evil man. May you rot and burn in... Belize. :D

I want to be part of the United-States of Canada !

...but seriously, Canada and the U.S should merged into a single country, not even a EU-styled union. Most, if not all, the provinces of Canada share most with some states in the U.S. than with the other provinces, it's quite obvious with Ontario (Great Lakes states), British Columbia (with the state of Washington) and Quebec with New-England & New-York. And I'm not just talking about economy, it's also a matter of culture.

Of course it's not going to happen,,,

Edited by ecoli
fixed URL tag

Europe is a place very different from North America. It's a truism but it is very important to remember that. The European Union is a compensation for the nation-splitting that has been occurring on the European continent for hundreds of years. Nation-states are great for the dominant ethnicity, but they fracture large economies into smaller, less efficient ones. As American competition became unbearable after WWII the obvious solution came to be to unite the economies while maintaining the nation-states. That what the European Union is.

North America lacks that history.