Myths

Cap'n Refsmmat

Or you could just look at the label.

I wish there was some international law (with hideous consequences' date=' preferably) against claiming tea has more caffeine than coffee.[/quote']

actualy per pound of coffee or tea leaves tea has more caffeine in it but for a cup of either, coffee has more caffeine. i got that of QI BBC 2 one of my favourite programs after top gear

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actualy per pound of coffee or tea leaves tea has more caffeine in it but for a cup of either, coffee has more caffeine. i got that of QI BBC 2 one of my favourite programs after top gear

Yes, but that doesn't excuse people mindlessly parrotting the same crap at us under the mistaken belief that they are dispensing good information when in fact they didn't undrstand what they were told in the first place, and then defending it to the hilt when told they are wrong despite having nothing to back it up with other than "Steve told me, on that TV program".

Can you feel the bitterness?

Clubroot on Brassicas is incurrable, and crop rotation won`t help when infected.

it`s crap!

veg compost incl brassica stems and off cuts will promote bacterial agents that will destroy even the clubroot disease :)

a 1 inch layer dug in 4 inches deep will fix it :)

"The average person will swallow 8 spiders per year"

I heard an estimate of 8 spiders accidentally swallowed during entire lifetime per person. Could be true, I just find estimating this sort of things a bit unreliable. :P

"Water in a pan, sink, or toilet rotates anti-clockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere"

What if your exactly in the between? No rotation then, just *slurp*? :)

"Water in a pan' date=' sink, or toilet rotates anti-clockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere"

What if your exactly in the between? No rotation then, just *slurp*? :)[/quote']

it actually does'nt matter where you live it depends on other things eg, sink shape, plug type ect, it can flow either anti-clockwise or clock wise in any country

"Water in a pan' date=' sink, or toilet rotates anti-clockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere"

What if your exactly in the between? No rotation then, just *slurp*? :)[/quote']

Yes, on the equator it can spin either way or just slurp. You should travel more :D

it actually does'nt matter where you live it depends on other things eg, sink shape, plug type ect, it can flow either anti-clockwise or clock wise in any country

Sorry, your one crazy mofo. I command thee to go flushing toilets and emptying sinks until thy hast learnt thyne lesson.

This has probably emerged from a convoluted chinese whispers style misinterpretation of why someone's doctor told them not to drink while on antibiotics.

Atinymonkey just raised the point that the post my above quote refers to makes it look like I am dismissing the negative effects of aspirin on the kidneys and liver.

In actual fact I was talking about the myth that it gets you high, and just quoted really carelessly.

To summarise: aspirin + alcohol won't get you high, and it isn't a terribly healthy thing to do.

Yes' date=' on the equator it can spin either way or just slurp. You should travel more :D

Sorry, your one crazy mofo. I command thee to go flushing toilets and emptying sinks until thy hast learnt thyne lesson.[/quote']

lol seroiusly it is true i have even tried it the force which makes the water turn clock-wise or anti-clockwise is much weaker then the other forces impacted on it like the one's i mentioned before again i got the of the all mighty informative TV, brainiac 2

Thank you for that very nice remark :)

Edit: i suppose i should be very cautious of anybody with a gun :D

Edit 2: i should be cautious of anybody with a gun in the first place in england, because nobody should own a gun except for a shotgun

"Everyone involved in making, popularising or broadcasting that program should be shot."

Hmmh... And you want cruel punishments for the coffee-tea-caffeine-thing sayers too? You should run for president or something. :) (Although that can be quite hard in the UK)

with regards to the consumption of Alc and anti-biotics. it`s only true for SOME types, drinking whilst on them can render the medicine less effective. other types remain unaffected :)

Yes, but the ever-resourceful "don't understand? Then just make something up" grapevine decided a long time ago that the reason doctors advised against it was that it has toxic/stimulatory/barbiturate/hallucinatory/orgasmatronic* effects.

* delete as applicable.

I don`t, I`m in the "Project" remember :)

Oooops did I really say that out loud?!

but seriously, these phamacutical giants are worth billions, it`s more than they`re jobs worth to screw up like that, or do you mean it`s nowt to do with them but the end user?

personaly I can Attest to Flucloxacilin being immune to alc, and a few other things. the documentation that comes with it specifies a contra indications, and few administration guides, non mention alc.

with regards to the consumption of Alc and anti-biotics. it`s only true for SOME types, drinking whilst on them can render the medicine less effective. other types remain unaffected :)

and if you drink with some it will make you violently ill... :-(

with a lot of antibiotics, it depends on how the patient feels as to whether they drink or not.